Three

••welcome to colorado••

The next morning, I get up super early. Mostly because I was up all night, and also because my anxiety got the best of me.

I wanted to have enough time in the bathroom and didn't want to run into anyone.

I didnt pick anything fancy to wear to school. I don't want to draw any attention. I picked out a pair of mom jeans, and a tight forest green long sleeve, underneath a white band tshirt. In New York I would have dresser up a lot more with accessories, but I don't really care what anyone thinks of me here.

Another thing different about Jackie and I is our very different style. She likes preppy, skinny jeans, business casual. She listens to pop music. I am the opposite.

"Good morning." I say to Katherine from the island where I sit, sipping my coffee. She jumps and turns around.

"Oh! Hi Elle!"

I give her a kind smile and nod towards the coffee pot. "I made coffee, I hope that's okay. I just wanted to help out a little bit."

She turns around, her face turning even more surprised. "That is just fine, thank you." After pouring a cup of coffee, she turns towards me, leaning on the counter. A loud thunk sounds from upstairs. Something must have fallen. "Sounds like the heathens are up." She jokes, making me laugh slightly. "But what are you doing up so early dear?"

I shrug, turning off my phone, and sitting up a little more. Taking a deep breath, our eyes meet and I can tell she is trying to read me. "I wasn't really able to sleep. It hasn't been very easy." She nods with understanding.

"Im sure. Ive had my fair share of restless nights. I cant begin to imagine what Jackie and you are going through."

I awkwardly look away from her, Im not completely sure what to say. Look out the window, I break our intense eye contact.

"Thank you for everything youve done for us already."

Changing the subject is the only way for everything to leave my mind. I cant have anything coming back to me because I have no idea how I will react. Last time I did, I had a full blown panic attack and then continued to get absolutely plastered for weeks after.

"Of course, if I can do anything for you ever, let me know. I want this to be as painless as-"

"Hi mom!" One of the boys says from the stairs. I look over and recognize him as Danny. "Good morning Elle." He says after giving his mom a hug. Danny has such a kind smile. It makes me genuinely feel like I have at least one friend around here.

"Good morning." I respond, sipping on my coffee.

The morning only gets more chaotic as everyone maneuvers around me and does their normal routines. Lots of yelling, clashing, and spilling. This will definitely take some getting used to.

Jackie is the last one downstairs, just staring at the chaos ensuing around her. Following the older boys as they leave, I leave her with Katherine to get some breakfast.

Standing about three feet from the car, I stare at it, trying to figure out where I'm gonna sit. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as one of the younger cousins whose name I didnt get points towards Alex on the other side of the car.

"Come on New York, the other side." I hear from a voice right next to me. I look up at Coles golden shadow and remember I have to deal with him again.

"Alright Cowboy." I whisper with a deep sigh.
He grabs my wrist as I head all the way around the car.