Nineteen

•••thanksgiving•••

I wake up the next day with the complete intention in telling uncle Richard I can't go with him to New York. I will always miss it. I will always crave the beautiful city, but I have no place there anymore.

Since everyone has work and school off, the house is more loud and crazy than normal. The kids run around on the front porch, and Danny, Isaac, Nathan and Cole talk loudly in the side living room with their parents.

As I walk past the doorway, Katherine stands up, calling after me. "Hey Elle, what are your plans today?" She asks me as we meet in the hallway.

I shrug. "I have no idea about later. But right now, I'm on my way to talk to uncle Richard."

She nods with a smile growing quickly. "So you're-"

"I'm staying." I let out a deep breath with a satisfied smile.

"Oh my god! Yay!" She practically yells as she embraces me in a strong hug.

I laugh along with her, hugging her equally as tight. "What's up mom?" Nathan asks from the couch.

Katherine releases our hug meeting my eyes, looking into them for permission to talk about it. I give her a solid nod.

"Elle is staying!" She yells. Everyone stands up quickly, practically running over.

Danny, Nathan, and Isaac all give me a huge group hug, completely shocked I am staying.

"I'm so happy for you Elle." Danny says as they all finally let go. I am smiling from ear to ear as their dad gives me a hug. And then I turn to Cole who gives me a smirk before walking over and embracing me in a huge warm hug.

Its this moment that I'm genuinely realizing that this is the perfect choice for me. New York is part of my past. Colorado, and the Walters are officially part of who I am in the present. I know that whatever Jackie decides as well, it will be the right decision.

Coles hug is so comforting, I never want to let go. He is like a big bear from all of his muscles surrounding me. "Congrats New York." He says almost sarcastically. But I know he means it. I look up at him and roll my eyes. "lll talk to you more about it later." He whispers, leaning down to my ear before leaving me, looking at the rest of his happy family.

I give the rest of them the same smile as before as I walk out. I walk up to my uncle's car, noticing that he is on the phone. I give him a smile as I wait outside the car for him to get off the phone.

"Hey Elle!" He finally greets me, slamming the car door a couple minutes later.

"Hi uncle Richard." I smile, giving him a side hug. "When do you leave?" I ask him as we begin to walk out of habit.

"This evening my plane takes off. So Ive gotta get going to the Denver airport soon."

I nod, turning to him. For some reason, I am nervous to tell him about my decision. I know that he will accept it but I'm not completely sure about how he will react. Out of nervous habit, I begin to pick at the side of my thumb skin. "About New York-" I begin nervously.

"Hey, like I said, I dont need you to decide right now Elle." He comforts me.

Shaking my head, I look up at him with confidence. "About New York, I can't go back with you.
I'm sorry but I believe I really need to stay here. I know that I can grow here. New York just doesn't have what I need anymore. And I dont think it ever will." I explain, watching his face as he grows more hurt. He tries to cover it up with a small smile, but I know I am ultimately disappointing him.