Thirty Three

•••spinning out•••

After the night in the rain, everything went back to normal. Drowsy, no change, life on repeat, normal. Cole and I dont talk, yet again, and Alex and I are closer than ever.

Cole began to get worse, as I got better. I started taking dance even more seriously, and Jackie and I have been going through the motions with figuring out how to allow ourselves to feel and finally grief. It has made me ten times better.

Cole started not coming home in the evenings, and showing up high to any family event. One of the times, I got a text from him stating "Im sorry." But I didnt answer, and we never talked about it. We both know that if he was sorry, there would be actions being taken.

All I want to know is why he wont get better. I thought that was the plan we agreed on silently in the rain.
Its not my place to micromanage though, and if this is how it will be, then thats fine. At least my feelings arent necassarily being tugged at anymore. They are more so being hurt because I just wish he knew how important he was to all of us. I wish he saw himself in the same magnificent light I do.

Nathan, Jackie, Alex, and I all stand together in the early morning, waiting for everyone else to go to school. It is gloomy out today, despite the pretty sunny days weve had the past week. It even required me to wear a jacket over my long black dress I paired with sneakers. As Cole storms out of the house, a truck pulls up. He goes tromping across the porch, our four sets of eyes watching as he ignores us in his mood.

He gets into the car and Nathan steps over to me. "What is up with him lately? This rebel without a cause stuff is getting real old." He complains.

I nod slowly, knowing partially what is up with him. But it's weird he is suddenly taking all of this out on his siblings by not giving them rides.

"Guess Im playing chauffeur today." Danny says, stepping out of the door and watching as Cole and his friend speed along the gravel driveway. "Whos got the keys?"

My eyes fly to Alex's beside me and he shakes his head. No way Cole took them. "He did give us the keys right?" All of us begin to understand that he stole them and they begin to make sighs and awkward laughs, trying to figure out what to do.

I just stand there silently, not even caring about the fact that I could be missing English three right now. The last thing I have on my mind is school. I am along for the ride with the rest of them.

•••

Later that day, after school, and Jackies track meet has ended, as Im walking through the halls with my sister, Mr. Chowdry calls us over. He congratulates my sister on her insane win at the track meet.

Im actually super impressed with her as well. She had to run two events because Erin couldnt make it. It made her look like she had insane skills because she won both events.

"What can we do for you?" I ask him.

"Um, Cole didnt finish that essay earlier so I was hoping you could do me a favor and pass along an extra credit assignment?" He asks me, directing his eyes towards me now.

"Theres an extra credit assignment?" Jackie asks as soon as she hears the three words, despite not even being in our English grade.

"Only for students who need it, and you dont need it." He explains back with a smile. "Only for students who really need it." He adds, incinuating Cole really needs it.

Damn it Cole. He is even falling off the deep end with school too. "How bad is it?" I ask, looking down at the packet that now carries more weight in my mind.