Sixteen

While I make the hot cocoa, I turn on some music from my phone. It is imperitive that in moments like this, there is music playing. Right now, I am swaying my way through the kitchen to My Girl by The Temptations.

"After today and yesterday, I am realizing how much you love dancing." Cole says quietly.

I turn around, my body turning stiff. I hadn't even noticed I was almost in my dancing form. Shaking my head awkwardly, I turn around. "I loved it, it's just things I do sometimes." I explain.

"You don't have to have an explanation. I just love watching you do it." He admits. Even though he can't see me, and I can't see him, my cheeks grow warm from him saying he loves something I do. There's been only a couple times someone has complimented me as simply as that.

I don't respond as the sky gets darker through the curtains over a short period of time, and when I pour the water into the coffee cups, it is now only the dim lights allowing Cole and I to see.

"Ill turn on one of the overhead lights." He offers as I top off the cocoa with my secret ingredient.

I turn around and practically leap at him to stop him.
"No!" I yell, grabbing his arm from across the island as he stands up. "Havent you heard about never turning on the big light?" I ask, letting go of his arm as he looks at me, almost scared.

"No." He says skeptically.

"Oh goodness," Rolling my eyes I grab the coffee mugs. "Well dont turn it on. It ruins the vibe. And dark settings makes you look better." I add, handing over the coffee mug.

"I dont need a dark light to make me look better New York." He insists with his usual cocky attitude. I roll my eyes once more, trying a sip of my cocoa as I sit down next to him.

"Try." I command, watching him as he picks up the cup.

"For some reason Im nervous."

"You would be." I tease, taking another large sip of the comfort in a cup. It almost tastes like how my dad used to make it.

He smiles as soon as the cup touches his lips, and he swallows with an unreadable expression.
"I thought you said this was hot chocolate." He laughs.

"It is. But spicy." I smile, shaking my shoulders to the fun word. "My family makes it insanely spicy though, so count your blessings." He looks at me, imagining what that must taste like.

"Im not sure what kind of chocolate they have in New York-"

"I mean, I can always drink it if you cant handle the heat Cowboy." I say, reaching to grab his cup. Cole's deep blue eyes stare into mine as he pulls it away and shakes his head.

"Im not saying I cant handle it," I nod at him with a sarcastic annoyed face. "Im just saying you know, something I wasnt expecting."

I smile at him, shaking my head. "That seems to be the case with you huh?"

"What do you mean?" He drinks the cocoa, making a small cringing face after, still sensitive to the heat.

"You never expect my next move." I laugh.

"But its so refreshing to have someone like that. You have no idea how much I admire you for just existing and living your own way without damaging everything around you."

I set down my glass just to listen to him. From his voice, it is easy to tell how much he has thought about this. I had no idea he thought about me in that way. "I mean, trust me, it only seems like that from an outside view." He smiles, staring at my side profile as I drink again, almost finishing it off. "Take a picture itll last you longer." I say after he doesnt look away.