Fourteen

•••nineteen•••

"Everything okay with him?" I hear from across the fire. My drunken eyes fly up to Olivia's, who asks a sad
Erin about her relationship with Cole. I look down at my nail beds, trying to be more discreet now.

"You know Cole." I hear as I eavesdrop. "Sometimes things are good. Sometimes, they are less good. But he always comes back around eventually. Like a boomerang."

"Or skinny jeans." Olivia says as I look over at Cole. What a toxic cycle he has going on with this girl. I am starting to understand why she acts like that towards everyone when he literally treats her like trash. God he's an idiot.

I notice Danny staring at me as I stare at Cole from next to me, and I look over at him with a toothy grin. "Did you know my dad had insomnia too?" I ask, taking a drink of a nasty mixture I poured up. I can't even remember how long ago I did. Was it an hour ago, or five minutes ago?

"I don't have insomnia. It's just late at night is the only time I get to study movies without interruptions." He explains.

"Oh! So you're studying them. I had no idea when we were watching them together."

"Mhm, the actors, just trying to figure out where I fit in." He smiles.

I put my head back, thinking more about it. "But don't all actors wanna be the lead?"

"Nah, I'm never gonna be the lead. Especially with people who look like uh," He looks over at Cole.

Immediately I slap his arm and shake my head. "Danny Walter. That's ridiculous. You are genuinely stunning." I admit. He shakes his head with a laugh, his cheeks getting more red. "Look, I've lived in shadows my whole life. The only thing I ever excelled at was dancing. But like, Lucy was so cool, and I always wanted to be her. Jackie is so smart. Everything came easy to them, and I'm still stuck trying to figure out who I am," I say, tears unintentionally forming in my eyes. "But now, she's gone, and Jackie's still got a plan." I take a big swallow of the drink, finishing it off.

"If you ever wanna talk about it,"

I shake my head, my smile fading all the way. "Not today. But what I was getting at, is that just because you're in a shadow right now, doesn't mean, that someday you will get what you want. You're special."

Danny smiles at me. "I get it. Open offer though. Because you're also very special Elle. Lucy may have been cool and Jackie may be smart, but you've definitely got something about you. You can't even explain it." He ignores all of my comments, making sure I'm okay first. That's what I love about Danny. He's always there to make sure you're good first. He's the first person I felt like actually wanted to hear about anything I had to say.

"Okay, Olivia," Erin stands up. Olivia hums, sitting up straighter, clearly dazed by the state of her alcohol holding right now. "Truth or dare?"

"Ooh, it's that time?" Olivia follows by standing up as well.

"Hell yeah it's that time."

"Um like twelve year old truth or dare?" I ask Danny.

"No, not the way we play."

"I need to go get a drink then." I say, standing up all woozy, everyone else stands up, getting ready.

"Better make it strong,"Olivia smiles behind her cup. "You're gonna need it."

Getting back from making my drink, everyone else waits around the fire, talking and laughing loudly.

"Ruby, truth or dare?" Erin asks the bitch who was talking about me in the bathroom earlier. I stare at her as she answers with the safe option. "What do you really think of Paige?" I look between the two girls as they share a look, before glancing over at Cole with surprised eyes as Ruby and Dylan kiss.