Epilogue

--Almost Two Years Later--

My dark hair flies through the wind, creating a big mess behind me. The big black truck drives along the highway at a quick speed. I breathe in the wonderful, aromatic air, smiling to myself. The radio is on high, playing classic rock. It's nostalgic music all throughout my past. But right now, I am headed towards my future.

A thumb runs along my left hand that is stretched toward s my boyfriend, Cole. I look away from the beautiful mountains outside the window, and over to the beautiful boy who drives. His cocky smile still gives me butterflies after all this time, and when I smile back, my cheeks burn from the sunburn I gained myself a couple days ago. He winks at me, glancing at the road and then back. "You excited New York?" He asks me in a calm tone.

I nod my head, looking at the truck bed through the back window. It is filled with everything we need for our twelve state road trip. Over the course of a couple months, we want to travel through the west and part of the Midwest part of America. There are only a couple specific plans. A couple places we want to eat out, a couple state and national parks to see, and a few ballet programs I want to visit, but other than that, it is all spontaneous.

Coles parents, Katherine and George were nervous about us going, but we've wanted to for the longest time. Even when we were best friends, forever ago, we talked about this road trip. Cole and I have taken a ton of road trips since turning eighteen. He has given me ten lifetimes of adventures.

This black truck, which I nicknamed Bessi, after the movie Cars, has held many memories for me. These past two summers have held endless memories. That is all thanks to Cole.

He is responsible for all of the adventures Ive had. Before Colorado, I was a city girl, and never expected anything like this. My life has changed drastically in these last couple years. Some of the changes have been the worst parts of my life, and others have been the best. Despite the bad, I will always be grateful for Colorado and the relationships I have gained from it.

"Im so so excited Cowboy." I respond, shaking his hand. "Except for Kansas. What the hell is in Kansas." He chuckles and shrugs.

"You've never seen the midwest right?" He refreshes his memory. I've told him this a million times it feels like.

"Sure haven't."

"Itll be fun." He promises, even thought I am completely unsure about it. Unbuckling, I lean over, over the middle seat, and rest my head on his lap after maneuvering through his arms at my hand and the wheel. "Elle, you're going to kill us." He laughs, looking down at me cautiously.

"You're cozy." I compliment, ignoring what he said. He raises his eyebrows at me, and instantly know what he is thinking. His mind is always in the gutter. I slap his arm.

"Youre gonna make me crash!" He laughs out, swirving on purpose.

"You act as if we haven't slightly made out while you were driving." It is true. We are not the most cautious drivers. But nothing about us is very cautious. We have just meshed together to live the best life we can. We have been the escape from the life we were originally prone to live.

"And we almost died."

I roll my eyes and we both laugh. "Katherine would not be too happy about that."

"She would still find a way to scold us at our funeral." We laugh loudly again, filling Bessi up with laughter.

"What if we died on the same day?" I ask hypothetically.

Cole purses his lips with curiousity while thinking. I cant imagine being without him. I think my heart would be in genuine pain. Moving on would be so hard. Losing that many people I had cared about would probably be the end for me. There is a big choice deep inside of me to either choose to move on and live my life for all of them to the best I can, or to let the sadness eat me alive.

"That would definitely be for the best." He responds a few moments later.

"Why?" I ask him.

"Well theres no way I would be okay after you. Im terrified to see where I would go." I nod slowly, understanding completely. "You know how I was after my leg injury. Imagine me losing a person." We both laugh. He was pretty dramatic. "You're so strong Elle."

A small smile crosses my face again. "I love you." I say suddenly, something I still cant help but to do.

"I love you more."