Fourty Two

•••happily ever after•••

Warning- there is pretty mild smut

Later that night, after the party has stopped, as Im walking to my room, I hear Danny pacing the creaky floor from across the hallway. My instinct is to go in and check on him, so I do, knocking on the doorframe before I enter. The light in his room is dim, only a couple of the lamps lighting the place. I can sense his anxiety as I watch him pace from his messy, open suitcase to the closet.

"Hey Danny." I smile, searching the room for any sight of his brother. But there is no Cole, so I exhale a steady breath. My eyes do land on Jackie though, who already sits at his desk, overlooking some kind of schoolwork; which is weird since its officially summer now. "You good?" I ask him as he frantically looks through his bag.

"No. I dont know what to pack! I have no New York clothes." He answers quickly his voice practically shaking with anxiety.

"Youre kidding me right? Your normal clothes are good enough. I would think youre cool if I saw you on the streets of New York." I laugh.

"Shes right." Jackie says, looking up from the homework.

"Yeah?" He asks us. She nods, and then looks back down.

"Yes. You have the best style out of everyone here. Other than me and Lee though." I admit. "Ill help you pack." I offer, moving over to Coles bed where there is a large pile of clothes.

"Can you see my blue shirt anywhere? Its a button up and has got blue lines." He asks from his closet.

"Umm," I say, rummaging around the bed. "Oh found it." I say, picking it up. Right as I do, I notice a small box with a piece of paper resting on top. My name is written carefully on the white slip. "Uh here." I say, holding out my hand for Danny without looking away from the box.

He grabs the shirt out of my hand, and I quickly turn around, grabbing the box. "Is this from you?" I ask quickly.

"Uh, no it was in the closet. I think it's Coles."

"It says its mine." I answer, pulling out the note with my name on it. Opening it with shaky hands, my heart stops.

Inside, there is a note that says, "Nothing is so broken it cant be fixed, I'll escape with you any day, New York." My heart flutters from the writing that I know is Coles. I sit down on the bed, nervous to see what is inside of the box. The brown paper wrapping is loud and deafening as I pull it off of the heavy object. My heart beats quickly, anticipating something important.

I can feel Dannys eyes on me as I pull out the item. Its the teapot Lucy and I used to share. The one that signifies our bond. One of the only items I even kept from her. After Parker broke it, I had no idea what happened to it, but I didnt have enough strength to ask either. Why hasnt Cole already given this to me? Why is he just holding onto it?

There is so much disbelief in my mind right now. Theres no reason he shouldve hid this from me. I cant even believe that he fixed it. It mustve taken him forever, there were pieces every where. "Uh Elle-" Danny begins to whisper.

Without even saying anything to Danny, I walk down the stairs, blanking out everything else that surrounds me until I get to Coles shed, where I know he will be working on the truck. Sure enough, there is a light, and I see him, hunched over the open hood of the massive old truck.