Chapter 36

Monday, February 10th, 1995

(Tegan's POV)

"Morning my favorite sisters!" I walked down the stairs into the dining room while Jess and Charlotte were setting the table for breakfast.

"Morning." Charlotte says back. "You seem in a good mood this morning."

"Gotta be whatever that secret gig you wouldn't tell me anything about yesterday." Jess adds. She had begun to set a place for my dad before getting halfway through and realizing she didn't need to, so she just piled the plates and silverware back into her arms. 

"I didn't know you guys played yesterday." Charlotte asks. 

"Well, we didn't." I sat down at the table. "I did. I played by myself."

"Really?" She asks. "That's awesome. But why play by yourself?" 

"Uhm..." I hesitate. "Well it's a bit of a long story, but I won't get away with not telling it, so here goes nothing. So on Saturday Luke asked me to meet him at this coffee shop downtown,"

"Espresso Club?" Jess asked. 

"Yeah, yeah I think so." I nod. "They have acoustic open mic almost everyday, and I didn't know till I got there and he got up on stage and played a song called 'Mine' that he wrote about me." Jess about dropped what was supposed to be my dads cup when I said that last part. 

"He did what know?" She asks. 

"Yeah." I nod. "And, I invited him to the same place, the very next day so this time I could get up on stage and sing a song called 'Electric Touch' that I kinda wrote about him."

"That's the song that you wouldn't show me! I can't believe you actually did that!" Charlotte asks. "And Jess owes me 10 bucks."

"You guys were betting on me?" I laughed. 

"Yeah, I bet that it was going to be Luke." She answers.

"And I thought it was gonna be Bobby." Her sister adds.

"I'm slightly offended you thought Bobby was my type." I say. 

"Well it's not like he's ugly." Jess says. 

"Oh no, I don't think he's ugly. He's just not my type." I shrug. "Well, we also have a really big show coming up I think I can get reservations for. We're performing at a big restaurant opening at the end of the month. You guys have never seen me play, I figured I'd see if Sara could come home for the weekend so she could watch."

"We'd love to come." Charlotte sits down at the table with me, her sister following. "You know, I was thinking, are you ever going to take your mom to a show?" 

"Why would I?" I ask. "It's not like she would want to, and I still don't think she's happy with me after I suggested we go to the cops for what happened with my dad."

"I mean here's how I look at it, you want to do this for the rest of your life, don't you?" Jess asks back. I nodded. "Then your mom needs to know what it is you're doing. I mean it's not like it's any big secret but she needs to understand, if anything."

"But thats just it I don't think she will understand." I respond. "I've seen first hand what it looks like when your parents to not support your dream. Lukes parents won't come to a show, they regret buying him his guitar. Because the last thing they want is their only child in a rock band, even though it's his passion and what he loves. If that's what my mom thinks, I don't know what I'm going to do."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you might just have to learn to live with it." Charlotte adds. "I mean, Tegan, you love this band. You love those boys. And the two of us have known you since you were three years old. And never have I seen something bring the spark out of you that I have seen these boys bring out of you. The way you talk about your shows and nights out with them, I've never seen you truly love something like this. And if your mom isn't about it, you might just have to take it and move on."