Chapter 39

(Tegan's POV)

Friday, February 28th, 1995

My sister, who had came back from school late Thursday after her classes, sat with me at our dining table to eat breakfast with me before I had to go school, the morning of our restaurant opening show. 

"How's mom?" She asks. 

"She's mom." I answer. "She's barely talked to me since I asked her to come tonight."

"Do you think she will?" Sara asks again.

"I wouldn't bet on it." I shook my head, leaning back in my chair. "And I don't really care."

"Oh, yes you do." She says. "You wouldn't have asked her to come if you didn't care a little bit."

"I care. About the band. Not if Mom cares or not." I answered her. She just stared at me with a grin on her face, waiting for me to break and say what we were both thinking. Which I did. "Okay! Yeah, I do kind of care! But what am I going to do about it if and when she doesn't show up or shows up and hates it!"

"She has to understand that this is what you want, and it's what you love." She says.

"It's not going to matter. I've seen what Luke's parents are like. And his parents love him, and they still don't support his dream."

"Mom might be mad at you, for... different things I guess?" She says, sounding like a question. "But she still loves you." 

"I'm just trying to not get my hopes up." I shrug. "I'd rather be focusing on the band and the show. Not if my mom is going to start talking to me again."

"Don't psych yourself out worrying about your mother." Jess says, standing behind my chair after coming out of the kitchen. "Let us handle your mom. All three of us are going too."

"Wouldn't miss it!" Charlotte stood in the kitchen doorway. "By the way, Tegan? Someone's at the back door for you."

"Really?" I ask. "Who?" She smiled at me and waited for me to figure it out for my self. I put two and two together when I glanced at the clock on the wall and saw that it was time for me to leave for school. 

"Oh!" I jumped up from the table, grabbing my school bag from the floor. "Thanks, Char. See you guys at the show!"

"Wait, who is it!" Sara asks me as I headed to the kitchen. 

"Nobody!" I said back. 

"Tegan! Who is it!" She yells again. 

"I'll tell you later I promise!" I said, looking to Charlotte before I went out the back door that lead out of the kitchen. "Don't tell her, and don't let Jess tell her."

"Tell her what?" She asks, obliviously.

"Thanks Charlotte. See ya!" I stepped backwards out the door, turning to see who I knew was already there. "Hey! Why are you at the back door?"

"Just avoiding being seen." Luke shrugs. "I don't know how much your mom knows, so I was being careful."

"She doesn't." I say as we started walking back towards the sidewalk. "Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm scared to tell her."

"No, it's okay. What exactly are you scared off?" He asks. 

"I want her to love the band like I do, but I really just want her to like you guys, music aside." I answer. "I really like being with you, my dad already doesn't like you, which isn't really that important because my dad hates everyone, but anyway! My sister loves what makes me happy, same with Jess and Charlotte. My mom on the other hand, I don't have a lot of faith in her to be open minded. Did that make sense?"