Chapter 35

(Tegan's POV) 

Sunday, February 10th, 1995

"Morning." Jess's voice said from my door. I was busy sitting in front of the mirror on my desk finishing up m y hair before heading out to the coffee shop, Jess hadn't been home since the night I ran off. "What's the occasion? You got a show at ten in the morning?" 

"Jess!" I hopped up from my chair, running to hug her. "You're back! Where have you been?"

"When I left the hospital, I was only there for a day and a half, I stayed with my mom for a bit." She says. "Your mom said you haven't seen your father since?"

"Nope." I shook my head. "And life has been fantastic since."

"Yeah that's why I came back." She continues, "Charlotte said it looked like he took off, so I chose to come back. I was trying to get her to leave. But I didn't want her to up and leave you and your mom. Mostly you. What happened, Charlotte said you ran off?"

"I saw what my dad did. I had snuck in the back door in the kitchen and saw the whole thing." I say, "I couldn't take it, so I ran. I was fine, Luke found me at our studio, and when dad found the studio while we hid in the bathroom that doesn't even work; he insisted that I sleep in the guest room at his house."

"Did you?"

"I didn't get a choice in the matter." I laugh. "He was gonna drag me there if I didn't"

"That's really sweet." She smiles. "So you've been okay, since I've been gone?"

"Other than my mom was pissed at me, when I came back home the next day," I say. "I'm amazing." I reached over and picked up my guitar case. "I'm actually headed out to sing, it's not a band performance, it's just me."

"Oh, I should see if Charlotte wants to go with me, we haven't got to see you play." She says, excitedly.

"As much as I would love you to, not this performance." I say. "When I get back and tell you all about it, you'll understand. Next band performance is gonna be a big one, I'll make sure you get to that one."

—————

(Lukes POV)

As I'm sure Tegan could figure when I pulled the stunt on her, I could tell she was up to something. When you reserve a place to play at this cafe, you can reserve a seat for one person. I did that for her, and she did that for me. At the same table I had hers at. I was just hoping neither of the guys I met yesterday would be here. Because then it was going to get even more weird. Unless they were backstage, it didn't matter when I saw the curtain move and she walked up the two stairs to the stage, settling into the same chair I did, with her guitar across her lap. 

"Morning guys, my name is Tegan. Thanks for coming out this morning," She says. "I could tell you all, what song I'm singing today, who I wrote it about, and how this song came to be. But I'm not going to, because that would ruin the surprise, now wouldn't it? All I'll say is this song means a lot to me, it's called 'Electric Touch' hope you enjoy it."

A/N work with me and pretend it's just Taylors voice. Cool? Cool.

"Just breath, just relax, it'll be okay

 Just an hour till your car's in the driveway

Just the first time ever hanging out with you tonight"

I don't know how she felt when I sang yesterday, but sitting here watching her. Something just felt right. It was so incredible for me to watch her, just because the fact she got up there and sang by herself. With out any of us.