Chapter 27

(Luke's POV)

Saturday, February 1st, 1995 

3:00 am

"You are not making me do this." Tegan complains as we turned onto my street. 

"Yes I am. Theres no problem." I respond. "I mean, there's no problem other than, you know the problem you're having. But there's nothing wrong with this."

"Oh no I'd say there is a slight problem with you sneaking me into your house to hide me from my crazy father." She laughs.

"Oh Yeah there's a problem with the fact that I have to do it, but it's the right thing to do." I said. "And I never said anything about sneaking you in."

"So what are we just going to walk through the front door?" She asks.

"Uhm, yeah." I answer. "If mom and dad are awake I will explain, most things. I don't have to tell them every little detail. If they're not awake, I'll tell them in the morning. We aren't on fantastic terms, but if one of my friends needs help they will be willing to help I promise."

"But what going to happen tomorrow?" She asks. "I need to know if Jess is okay, that my mom is okay, and all the rest of my stuff is at home, and I can't avoid him forever."

"Worry about this when it's not three in the morning." I say as we turn into my driveway. "You've had yourself a day. Get some sleep and think about it tomorrow."

"You're sure? Your parents will take in a random stranger that only their son knows?" She asks while I dig out my house key.

"You're not a complete stranger. They know who you are, they just haven't met you. Yet." I fumble around with the key in the door. "Besides my mom wouldn't kick you out even if she really wanted to."

"Thank you, so much for settling my nerves." She smiles to herself sarcastically as we stepped quietly in my front door into the almost pitch black living room.

"You're welcome." I say dropping my stuff at the coat rack, taking her bag of her shoulder and locking the door. "Okay, so far coast is clear. If we can just make it to the back where the guest-"

"Luke?" My mom's voice says from my parents room as the door opens slightly lighting up the room.

"Damn it." I say as quiet as I could. Though Tegan heard, I could tell since she stifled a laugh while my mom came out of the room where she could see the both of us.

"Seriously? Do you know what time it is?" My mom says, clearly upset with me. "What's going on here?"

"Plans foiled huh?" Tegan asks to me after I hesitated to answer my moms question. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye while she just grinned back at me before I turned back to my mom.

"Yeah, can I talk to you a minute?" I ask her before handing Tegan back her bag and walking towards my mom, pulling her through the kitchen to the hallway. "Listen I know you're mad at me, but I need you to just work with me on this one. Thats Tegan, and I'm worried about her. She's had a really bad night, and I'm not okay with her going home right now. I just brought her here so she has a place to stay for the night. One night please."

"I'm sorry what?" My mom asks, still trying to understand. 

"I know, I know how it looks but I'm just doing her a favor. This was all my idea. Just asking that you let her stay in the guest room for one night." I explain.

"What happened to her?" Mom asks glancing back down the short hallway.

"Without explaining the whole story because it would take a long time, I want to make sure she's not going home to a house that isn't safe, just until I know nothing else is going to happen I didn't want to let her go home. Mom just one night thats all I'm asking, please." I continue to plead, now fearing this plan of mine is going to backfire on me.