Chapter 19: I want to escape with you...

"I want to escape with you..."

Japan bit his lips. "I knew it."

The nations all turned to one another, shocked and confused at what they were hearing. Romano silently stared at Italy as the young Italian gripped the thick book tightly in his hands.

"So," America went on, slightly hesitant, "what happened the very first time?"

"How this started," Italy said softly to himself, before nodding. "Okay." He took a deep breathe in, closing his eyes to stay calm as he began. "Before the World Meeting, I snuck away from Germany's training and arrived at the town near the mansion. There, I happened to hear rumours about this place." He turned his head away slightly, innocently tapping his index finger on the book's cover. "I...thought it sounded interesting, so I told America about it. Right after that, he told the rest of us."

"Yeah, no difference so far." Canada elbowed America to keep quiet.

"Which is everyone except me and Spain," Romano pointed out. "This really is our first time here."

Italy nodded at this, smiling as if reminiscing a distant, foolish memory. "We were going to have fun. So much fun. But once we arrived and opened the door...there was that Thing inside.

"We all ran in different directions and I got lost from everyone. I was so scared and had no idea on what to do. I wanted to find someone as quickly as possible..." he paused, slowly looking depressed as he turned to Japan. "After a long time, I found you, Japan. I was really happy to see you...but...you died in front of me."

At once instant, Japan's legs gave out and he fell backwards, as if he was blown away from the revelation. China and Prussia caught him at once, the eldest of the two looked just as distraught, unable to believe what he just heard as well. Japan kept his brown eyes on Italy as he opened his mouth like a fish. After a while, he stopped and just shook his head in misery as he felt horrible to let Italy see him at his worst.

Italy sighed before he went on. "Until then, I had completely forgotten that Japan had come along. There was a gap, as if something had been erased..."

"Maybe you're still..." Canada whispered, but Italy shook his head.

"No, I believe it might have always been like that. Because while I was thinking that there was something wrong with my memory," his eyes suddenly affixed onto one of the nations, turning to the next, as he said their names. "China...Russia...Fratello France...Canada...England...and America were killed one after the other...By the time we could finally escape, Prussia and Germany were also killed...and I was the only one who was still alive."

Italy watched everyone's reactions. Some staggered back, others remained still on the spot. The only ones who weren't affected at all were Spain and Romano. America had slammed his fist against the wall, cursing under his breathe while Canada tried to calm him. England and Russia glanced at one another silently, a glooming frown on their faces. China pushed Japan back up, coaxing the young Asian that it was alright and they were all well now. Prussia shook his head in disgust, turning to the young Italian in pity. Germany was the only one who didn't move at all, he was like a statue. The only thing he did was tighten his grip on Italy's shoulder, nothing else.

While France slowly tried to digest the information, he realized something vital. "You were...alone..."

At this, they all snapped back to Italy, who could only offer a small, yet sad, smile. "I was supposed to get out, but I felt too hopeless and angry. I just wandered around without knowing what to do...hell, I couldn't even think straight, so I smashed and broke everything I saw. And before I knew it, I was in the library. That's when I found this."