Chapter 16: Let's try this again

The only thing I remember vividly...

To the point I can't breathe...

Is when we first came here.

Even when everyone was trying to think of a way to escape...

I did nothing to help...I had to be protected like an idiot...

...

That's why everyone else got hurt.

And I was alone.

One after the other...

...They lost their lives right before my eyes.

~.~.~.~.~

...10...

~.~.~.~.~

Third floor - Piano room

Italy's eyes were filled with tears. His body was trembling no matter how much he tried to stop them. His hands were clumsy, fumbling though his backpack for something, anything, to help.

He heard his friend laugh emotionlessly. "I'm sorry...Italy-kun...but it looks like this is the end of me."

Italy head snapped up and met Japan's nearly dead ones, trying to hold back a sob. "D-Don't say that! Wait just a minute! I'll make bandages out of this flag and stop the bleeding!"

Japan gently shook his head; a kind smile on his face. At the moment, his body felt numb, even when the blood drained out of the huge hole in his stomach and painting the white floorboards red. "No...no, it's too late...There is no time." He looked up to where he thought Italy was, lifting up his hand to reach out. He found it, grasping for it before closing his eyes and sigh. "Please...just leave me here... and go find the others...Fortunately, they've forgotten...that I came here. Please, leave me..."

"I can't do that!" Italy snapped. This couldn't happen. This couldn't be happening! "Just...Just...I'll make bandages right now! Please! Don't go! Don't go, Japan-"

"Italy-kun."

Italy blinked at the firmer, yet strained voice. His hiccups turning into sniffles when he whispered, "Wh-What is it...?"

Japan's eyes remained closed, but there were still strength in Japan's grip on Italy's. He tried to smile bigger but it was getting too much. "You don't have your white flags any more...do you? ...You have already used...all of it...to make bandages for everyone else."

"No! No! I do! I-I do have them! Look!" Italy reached back with his free hand and pulled out one of the strips of white cloth he just ripped. His lips were trembling as he presented it in front of Japan's face. "I just made it! I'll help you right now!" There was no immediate answer from him, and the Italian began to panic, cries getting louder as he pleaded. "No...No, Japan! I'll do anything! I'll do anything!I won't hug you anymore! I won't cry from anything! I won't take off my clothes whenever you're around! Please! Please just hold on a little longer, Japan!"

Japan's eyes cracked opened a bit, making Italy smile as he grasped both his hands onto Japan's. Eyes unfocused, the raven haired man whispered, "Italy-kun...you are so...very kind. But even though my eyes are dulled, I know that you are lying."

Italy's heart dropped just when Japan pulled his hand back, letting out a final sigh. "It is so...frustrating. Till the end...I wanted us to...get out...together..."

There's a dull thud when Japan's eyes closed again. Italy stared at him with petrified eyes, the tears silently running down his face. He reached out with a shaking hand, touching the Japanese cheek. They were still white, yet he couldn't feel the warmth like he always gets whenever he greeted him with a hug.