Chapter 14: The 114th betrayal

The 114th betrayal

The rain outside was falling heavily to the point it pounded into their ears. Germany and England paced around the room while Russia and China stayed near the door. Italy, sitting away from everyone while reading his bible, did not say anything. No one even dared to speak, actually. Not in this situation that was getting worse as the minutes passed.

The door to the room was suddenly slammed opened, making Russia and China jump and bring out their weapons. They brought it up to who they thought was their attacker, who was actually Prussia.

Hands signalling them to stand down and closing the door, everyone quickly crowded around the albino, anticipating for some news. But as Italy got closer, he noticed the gloom looming over the Prussian nation, and the absence of a certain Asian.

"Prussia! What happened to Japan?" Italy cried in fear.

Prussia didn't look at him, or at anyone. He just turned his head slightly away in guilt as he spoke in an unusual soft manner. "He fell asleep...very...deeply."

Realization smacked them in the face and left them cold. China stumbled back, shaking his head in disbelief as he uttered, "No...no..." He fell onto his knees and clutched his head, screaming out in misery, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Russia was beside him in an instant, holding tightly onto the now breaking down Chinese elder in his arms. His face contorted, showing grief as he could not summon up his usual smile. "So...now we're the only ones left," he whispered.

The remaining six nations grieved on the loss of another nation, who was a wonderful friend, and also a beloved brother. Italy was able to get himself into a seat behind him, but he looked like a rag doll slumping down from being abandoned.

"Mother of...!" England gritted his teeth and slammed his fist onto the wall, trying to not wail like China. He couldn't lose it now, he held it in when they lost the ones he cared about and he was damned to even think about breaking down now! He had to remain strong, for all their lost loved ones, in this time. "We failed again!" he yelled in disgust. "What are we going to do? We've got the key. But now-"

"When we've lost so many?" Germany finished. His voice didn't harsh, but it was gentle enough to interrupt England. The German took a deep breath and shook his head. "I can't," he simply said.

Russia looked up, staring at everyone before looking back at China's trembling form. "Да, there is no point."

Prussia nodded at this. "I agree. Let's leave this key to our next selves."

At this point, Italy couldn't hold back. He clutched the bible in his hand while getting the key out of his chest pocket in another. He looked at it in his hand, after finally being able to get it, it was...too late...

A sob was heard and the German brothers turned to look down at Italy's slowly quaking form. His head was bent down, the brown bangs covering his face as he clutched the key in his hand. "I'm sorry..." he whispered.

Germany and Prussia felt distressed at this. They quickly went up to Italy, kneeling closely in front of him. "Italy..."

"Yeah, Ita, you didn't do anything..." Prussia assured as best as he could.

But Italy just shook his head. "I'm sorry," he repeated. "It was me...It's my fault. Because I...because I..."

~.~.~.~.~

Italy woke up with a start, blinking rapidly as he listened to his frantic heart beat and the rain hitting against the walls outside. He ran his hand through his forehead, feeling it wet with cold sweat. He tried to calm down, slowly taking in deep breaths. As the minutes passed, he could hear all types of snoring within the darkness but it took a while for him to comprehend where he was.