Part 2 of Chapter 5

The next morning, after my friends had finally left, I decided that I would head to the library.

So, I grabbed the backpack we used yesterday, emptied it out, then changed into some fresh clothes.

Before I left my room, I noticed myself in the mirror.

I had always been freakishly tall; since 3rd grade even but now that I had gotten so skinny over the past couple of years, my body seemed to look more and more like a twig everyday.

I adjusted the Ramones shirt that I had on, then pushed back the long, dark brown hair that was covering my eye.

The bruise that marked my face was an ugly, faded yellow green now. Since my skin was so pale, it really made my brown eyes stand out. I was kind of glad that no one, besides Drew and my friends, ahd noticed this.

Wouldn't want to much attention from that.

After I slipped on one of my old black jackets and a pair of sneakers, I quickly grabbed my wallet and keys, then shoved them into my backpack and walked out the front door.

As I locked the door behind me, a chilly breeze blew in my direction, sending a shiver up my spine.

I had that odd feeling that I was being watched.

But who knows. With me, anything was possible.

I was glad to finally be alone (unsure if true).

I didn't mind the company of my friends, but for almost two days straight? I just needed a little me-time.

And whenever I need me-time, I'd always go to the library.

Ever since my mom started drinking, the library had become like a second home to me.

I'd even made friends with the two librarians who worked there, Jake and Jillian.

They were a young married couple that had practically poured their whole life into the funding of that library.

Whenever I'd come by, we would always talk about our favorite books and authors, or about the town, or how the other one was doing, etc.

And since Jake knew that I liked manga and comic books, he had opened a section in the library just for me!

I had absolutley no idea how these kind people, could ever befriend a messed up kid like me.

Patterson Park Library stood in front of me, boldly covering the gray sky, that hovered above it.

I felt a sigh of contempt escape my lips, as I spotted Jillian getting out of her small, blue Prius.

"Hey Jillian!"

"Oh Jason! It's a surprise to see you here on a Wednesday!"

Wow....was it really Wednesday?

"What're you doing here," she asked, in a sweet mom-like voice.

"Just doing some research on the Massacre Manor."

She curled up her nose in disgust.

"Why in the world would you want to research a place like that?"

"Didn't you hear what happened," I asked.

She shook her head.

"No, what?"

"...Greg was murdered in there...and I wanted to learn more about the history so I could piece together more clues."

She immediately bustled over and almost cracked my bones with her giant bear hug. How in the world could she muster up such strength!?

"Oh you poor thing! I hope everything will be ok! And if you need information on the...Massacre Manor, just ask Jake. He knows a little bit about it, so I'm pretty sure he can help you."

"Really? Thanks! That would be awesome!! Oh hey, I almost forgot to ask. Has the new volume of March Story  come in yet?"

She smiled.

"Just came in yesterday. Already put it on hold for you."

"Wow! Thanks Jill! I really owe you one!"

We walked into the building together and the moment we stepped through the doors, all I wanted to do was inhale.

The sweet aroma of old books hung in the air like a thick perfume, that I just wanted to bury my face into.

"Aaaah! It never gets old."

Jillian smiled and her hazel eyes twinkled brightly.

"I know exactly what you mean."

Jake walked in at that moment, with a huge stack of books in his arms.

"Hey Jilly Bean! Hey Binx!"

He sat the books down on a counter and came over to us.

"Jake, Jason would like your help on research on the Massacre Manor," Jillian said before I could speak.

"The Massacre Manor, huh? Well I know a thing or two that could probably help you out."

Jake smiled and motioned for me to follow him. 

He took me to an aisle close to the back of he library and stopped about halfway from the 'World History' shelf.

"Here we are," he said, pulling a large brown book out, that read, 'One Hundred of The Worst Murders in History.'

"It doesn't have very much in it, but it'll give yo a bit of an insight on Will Saxton."

Jake flipped through the book until he found the Massacre Manor.

"Ok, so like you probably know, Saxton murdered all those people that night but something that not many do know, is that he also dabbled into voodoo in the process of his work."

A picture from the book showed a room in the Massacre Manor that had a crudely drawn pentagram in the center of the floor. It was surrounded by melted candle nubs, yellowing bones, and dried blood. Then my eyes fell on the next image.

When I saw the picture of Will Saxton dangling from the chandelier. I could feel my stomach start to twist into tight knots.

"Could you please turn the page," I asked. My voice came out kind of forceful, which made me feel guilty. 

Jake turned the page, and the next one wasn't much better.

A few of the party guests were hung up against the wall by two large hooks that were protruding out of their shoulder. Their eyes and mouths had been sewn shut, so blood dripped off their faces and down their bodies, onto the floor.

I nearly gagged.

"Please close it! I can't take it anymore," I said, almost shouting.

Jake shut the old book, hastily and put it back up on the shelf.

"Um...So I updated the manga section if you'd like to check it out," he said, trying desperately to change the subject.

I swallowed, as my breath started to come out unevenly.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there in a second. Just give me a minute."

Jake nodded, then walked off in the other direction.

My eyes scanned the shelf until my gaze fell upon a small black book that seemed to stick out from all the rest.

I pulled it out quickly and read the cover title.

'Protection Against Spirits and Other Supernatural Beings.'

Just what I needed.

Smiling, I put the book under my arm, then walked over to the comic book/ graphic novel/ manga area and began to look for Jake.