Part 1 of Chapter 3

"Oh shit!" I yelped. Alice and Gabbi looked around wildly. 

 "What", they both said together.

"My mom is home! You guys have to hide!!!" I motioned for them to run upstairs and hide in my room but Gabbi whimpered.

           "We won't have enough time!" I noddeed

           "Yes you will. I locked the deadbolt, so she'll have to go around the house to get the keys. Now go!" 

They both darted for the stairs, and no sooner had my bedroom door shut, the door from the gararge swung open.

My mom busted in angrily, and apparently still drunk. The moment she saw me standing there, she seethed. 

           "You! I don't want to see you right now! Get out of this fucking house!" Breathing hard and trembling, i boldly told her "No".

She looked at me with bewilderment in her eyes.

           " I thought we established last night that you don't talk back to me like that. Now get the fuck out!"

   I thought of what would happen if I left. My mom would most likely go upstarirs, trash my room, then find Gabbi and Alice, and they'd be as good as dead. I couldn't let her do that.

So I made myself look as mighty and brave as I could then firmly shouted "No" again.

This time, instead of protesting, she came forward and punched me right in the eye. My first reaction was to push her away, so I stumbled then shoved her into the wall.

"Mom! Listen to me! If you stayed sober, half the time, you wouldn't be the bitch you are now! So just stay off my back and leave me the fuck alone!"

I let my words sink in a little, then I slowly turned and made my way up the stairs. After i had gotten into my room and locked the door behind me, Gabbi shot out of the closet and scared the living shit out of me.

"Oh my God! Binx, your eye!! Wh-What Happened!?"

Alice came stumbling out after her, and for the first time, when she looked at my bruised up face, I could have sworn I saw a hint of pity cross in her eyes.

"My mom was still drunk. She got mad cause I told her  I wouldn't leave the house, so she punched me in the eye, but after that, I shoved her into the wall."

Gabbi's little face looked like it was going to split apart.

"Oh God!! Gab, Don't cry, Please! I couldn't leave you guys here alone with her! I only got this," I said pointing to my eye," Cause I was doing the right thing." 

She sniffled a little as I pulled her in for a hug. I could feel her scared, tiny body trembling in my arms, and it made me want to hug her even tighter and never let go.

Whenever my friends were scared or sad, it made me that way too. And I absolutely hated it. I hated not being able to be able to be the bigger person in situatuions like this. It made me feel hollow inside.

As the house fell silent, I began that something might have happened downstairs, so I left Gabbi and Alice, who were quietly sitting on the bed, to take a peek out my door.

I tried tiptoeing quietly down my stairs, which was a fail since they were wooden and the squeks were loud as fuck. So I went downstairs and my mom was no where to be seen. Her car wasn't in the garage. Well thank god she's gone!

I walked into the kitchen to go grab some bread to make sandwiches for Gabbi and Alice, and there was a note setting out on the counter. I picked it up and quickly recognized my mom's sloppy handwriting.

Dear Binx,

The police called my cell and said they wanted to talk with you.

Will be gone for a couple of days.

Don't bother calling.

Love,

Mom

The note sort of made me laugh at the end. LIke she could really use the word 'love'.

After I set the note back on the counter, I quickly turned around and grimaced. All the money in our savings jar was gone. She had taken all of it for her goddamn booze. I slammed my fist down angrily then ran back up my creaking and loud stairs. 

Gabbi and Alice were still waiting on my bed when I came back to my room. They were both sort of sprawled out and while Alice was snoring quietly (really?), Gabbi was staring straight ahead, right at me.

"You looked pissed. What happened?"

I smirked. "She took all the money and left...again! Plus, the cops now want to see me. At the greatest of times, too." She sort of nodded.

"That sucks."

"Your telling me."

Alice jerked a bit, then swung her foot out and kicked me right in the leg. I growled. 

"What was that for!?" She didn't even have time to answer , because at that moment, my phone began to ring. "Famous Last Words" blared out loudly and Alice and Gabbi began playfully singing along. 

I answered it and hushed them quickly as the person on the other line spoke.

"Jason Binx? This is Officer Jennings. I'd very much appreciate it if you could come on down to the police station and have a little talk with us. Say..in about half an hour?"

"Yeah, I was just about to leave the house anyway."

"See ya then."

"Yeah."

I hung up the phone without one more word.