Chapter 47

Chapter 47:

            I sulk back to where Kyle, Grace, and Will are. I bump into many rocks and fall on my face at least twice but I'm too lost in my mind to notice. When I get back to where everyone is supposed to be, I see nothing but grains of sand floating up into the sky. I groan. "Thanks guys!" I yell out. "Totally cool! Just leave me here!" I sit on the sand, throwing a silent tantrum. Who is Kyle anyway? My mind wanders and I don't even notice when the sun goes down or when somebody is repeatedly calling my name. It's like I'm here but I'm not. I'm unaware of anything. I hear something sigh in annoyance and I snap out of my trance. "W-who are you?" I stuttered.

            I look up but it's so dark I can't really see anything. "Like you care," I feel a hand grasp me firmly by the shoulder and I'm yanked up. My eyes adjust to the darkness and I can somewhat make out the form of a girl. Her voice is high pitched enough so that it's not Kyle but no way can it be Rose. I must have a confused expression on my face but it's too dark to tell. "Fine, I'm Megan."

"Like the song?" I deadpanned. I could feel her roll her eyes.

"No, like the name." Sarcasm dripped from her voice and I mentally cringed. "Anyway I could hear your screams from like way over there." She points to somewhere in the background. "Dude you have to stop throwing tantrums." She's even more sarcastic than Kyle. Wait...

"Hey, Megan, right? Can I call you Meg? Okay, I'm Owen, you probably know that." I run my hand through my hair, probably screwing it up even more than it already is. "You don't happen to know Kyle, do you?"

"Oh god, that douchebag? I knew him back from my day at Greystone." She chuckled. "Good ol' days, right?" She lightly punches my shoulders but I feel as if she just stabbed me. 

"So how do you know him?" I push. I don't want her to leave, but I need answers. She sighs and I know she's going to comply.

"I told you, Greystone, that's it." I raise my eyebrows at her, ignoring the darkness that surrounds us. "Ugh, stop making things difficult. We never dated, if that's what you want to know, he's not my brother either. We have a bond, though."

"No!" My frustration is getting the better of me. "No, no more bonds. First my sister and then Kyle and ugh!"

            "Yo, calm down. It just means when one of us dies, so does the other. I can feel his pain and emotions, nothing major. It's your job to keep him safe."

"No. No I'm not going to be responsible for another life! I already need to take care of my sister who's 'special' and now Kyle not to mention my parents are dead and the girl I thought I really liked is in love with an evil psycho, not to be rude or anything but I can't handle this crap right now."

She put her hand gingerly on my shoulder. "It's okay, I'm sorry to have asked." This is an odd time to notice that her breath smells like a sea breeze that reminds me of home, hence it makes me sad which takes away my anger. Maybe I'm bipolar. "Here, sit, we have a while to talk, I don't have anywhere to go."

"Ever think that maybe I do?" I said smartly. She raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows at me. I sighed and complied, sitting down Indian style on the sand. I'm not sure what to make of this girl.

"So, what do you do for fun?" I genuinely laugh for the first time in who knows how long.

"Fun? Are you kidding me? My life has been constant Hell and you're thinking about fun?" She laughs, not at me though, with me. I instantly start to gain slight respect for her. She seems tough but not Rose tough. She's more like melted metal, she's flexible but still hard enough to fend for herself.

"Fair enough, well Owen, I think it's time I show you some fun." She bats her eyes seductively and starts to walk towards me. I feel like I should say something but I'm too stunned to say anything. Before I can say anything though, she grabs my hand and yanks me off the ground. "Follow me." She whispered in my ear. She ran to the water's edge before plummeting in. I stare at the place where she jumped. No way am I actually doing that. I hear her voice. I think she's telling me to come in. Screw it, I don't have anything to lose.

I plummet through the water, creating ripples in the eerily still water. I see her brown hair rippling through the water. I follow her best I can until I'm in arms reach. I still don't see how this is fun. This might be an odd time to notice I don't feel a need to breathe...

Suddenly a burst of light enters my eyes. I'm jolted back but Megan moves with ease. She glances back and throws her head back in laughter. "Guess you aren't welcome. Hang on, I'll be right back." I stand (float) there impatiently. I lose track of time but at some point Megan comes back with two people. Two people that don't have legs but have tails. They're mer-people! I have to cover my mouth in shock. Megan stands with them laughing. One of the mer-people grabs my hand and drags me through the invisible barrier.

We come to a clearing where I'm surrounded with bright colors (ugh). I've taken an odd liking to the color black. Megan grabs my other hand and drags me through the water. We come across many other mer-people. They aren't stereotypically pretty but they aren't horribly hideous either. Out of nowhere I start choking.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" Megan shouts at me. I nod my head, still coughing. She brings me towards the surface of the water. "Sorry, I forgot you aren't used to the water pressure.

"How do you breathe?" I gasp. I'm treading water at this point, but Megan has my shoulder in her hand.

She laughs at my question. "I have the water power. I also have some of the earth power because of Kyle." She pauses to look at me. I nod, telling her to continue. "You know, Brook, correct?" I nod my head slowly. "She's my sister." I imagine spitting out my drink if I had one.

"Excuse me?!" I yelled.

            She sighed. "Yeah she's my sister, Kyle and I have a bond, Gavin tried to murder me, etcetera, etcetera." I imagine just dumping my drink over my head.

            "He tried to kill you?" I remained calm...for a moment. "He tried to freaking MURDER you?! No, no, last straw, that dick's going down."

            "Hey, relax dude. It's alright, I'm totally over it. Anyway um...what else, I know everyone you do, by the way, plus millions more. Rose and I used to be good friends, ya know. Turns out she's a backstabbing bitch." Her fists are clenched, I can tell even when we're under the water. She sighed. "I'm sorry,"

            "Whoa dude, don't let your guard down. We'll get revenge okay?" I took both of her hands in mine for a moment before immediately letting go. What did she mean by Rose being a backstabbing...yeah.

            "Well that didn't go as planned," She laughed, breaking the tension. "The mer-people are very nice. They'll help us in time of need, remember that. Here," She reached into her pocket and handed me a seashell. "Don't worry about losing it, when you need it, it will come to you."

"Thanks," I said. "So, what now?"

            She checked her watch. "Crap! I have to go, sorry Owen!" In a flash she disappeared. I threw my hands up in exasperation before she appeared a second later. "Oops, sorry. I'll see you soon, I promise. You have somewhere to be now, though." In a blink we both disappeared.

"Heads up!" A voice called.

Everything went black.