Chapter 42

Chapter 42:

            I groggily wake up to people crowded around a bed.  "Mate, ye can't go more than a few days without me, can you?" I recognized the familiar accent. I bolted upright, but was pushed back down with a wave of nausea. "Ooh, bad idea, buddy. You might need a bit more rest. Even considering the fact you've been out about a week." My mind is spinning. A week?

            Looking around the bed, I recognize it as the same one I slept in while I was staying with Dave and his mom. "Where's Grace?" I ask, finally gaining the strength to sit up. Dave...I mean Gavin (whatever his name is!) looks down at his twiddling thumbs, and an emotion I have only seen once before is etched across his young face. "David, where's Rose." I say more forcefully.

            "I didn't! I didn't think she'd do it, okay! I'm so sorry, Owen!" Nausea once again swipes over me, forcing me to lie down. I snarled and Dave backed up. Okay, he'll only be Gavin when I'm with Rose, I silently noted. "It's me mum. I told her to take care of her, 'cause, you know, she's special and all. I just didn't think she'd take her back." I slap my hand to my forehead only to immediately take it back, revealing a sticky substance. "Oi, you may have been writhing a bit in your sleep, no big deal, we'll get ye cleaned up, right guys?"

            Cautiously opening my eyes, (I didn't even realize they were closed!) I see three people gathered around the edge of my bed. Obviously, there's Dave, then there's Kyle and Brook sitting in his lap. No sign of Rose. Kyle, sensing my dismay, sadly says, "She wanted to make it, dude. She's going to Greystone Orphanage to try and retrieve Grace.

            "She can't do that!" I yelled, adrenaline pumping through my body. Dave pushed me back down. "I mean, she's special too!" I begin to breathe quickly again, as well as beginning to shake. My breaths become pained and rough. Kyle rushed over to me, spooning something into my mouth. Nodding, I swallow it.

            "Maybe we should let him sleep..." Kyle said. He always knows what to say. The others nodded in agreement as they walked out the door. Looking back, Kyle nodded to me. "She'll be okay, just be good for her." He practically skipped out the door and I pretended not to hear him call for Brook as soon as he stepped over the threshold and into the living room.

            I sighed. How did I ever end up in this mess? Reflecting back on the past year, I lay still in bed. Maybe if Rose can read minds...maybe I have telepathy. Rose. I tried. I don't know what to say, really. It's a stupid idea anyway. 

            A feminine voice popped into my head. Yes, Owen? I was so excited I nearly jumped out of bed. Hastily replying a jumble of words, I heard a pop in the corner of the bedroom. "You can't be without me for more than an hour, can you?"

"Actually, my dear, it's been a week." I said, gingerly sitting up. She grabbed my hand to help me stand. "I'm bed stricken," I raised my hand to my head. My forehead is hot as a summer day in late August in Texas. (I went there once with my family, it was dreadfully hot.)

"Hey loser, we have stuff to do." Rose said forcefully. "I found some things that you may like, but we need Gavin." Right, Gavin. Not Dave. "Let's go." With that brief statement she grabbed my wrist and dragged me out of bed. "Call his name." I did as I was told.

Seconds later, Gavin came running in, sweat running down his temples. His face fell when he saw Rose. "Oh, um...am I interrupting something?" He ran his hand through his auburn comb over. I vigorously shook my head. Looking between the two of us, Rose rolled her eyes. In a swift move – you would've missed it if you blinked – Rose grabbed my hand as well as Gavin's and I felt my body go cold and stiff. I disappeared into a shadow.

Gasping for breath, the three of us landed in moist dirt. Gasping for her, I slowly got off of my stomach. You see, we were a jumble of bodies in a junkyard. Where are we, actually? Answering my questions, Rose stood up and began speaking. "When I was looking for Grace," she paused, looking to see my expression. "I came across this place." She gestured around her. Rubbing my eyes, I see stones and crosses and mounds of dirt. I gulped. We are in the graveyard. We are in my hometown. Looking down, Rose spoke again. "I found your parents, Owen. They were buried here." She made eye contact with me.

"I bet you're wondering why you're here, Gavin." She said, a bit sourly, mind you. "You have the Hell power, meaning you can bring people back from the dead. That's how you passed as a healer. Maybe..." she paused. She turned to me. "Owen, do you want your parents back." I gasped.

Of course I do! I wanted to say. The words never came out of my mouth. I was in a state of shock and I couldn't speak. Suddenly feeling light headed, I put my hands just above my knees and leaned over a bit. I'm panting even though I haven't moved. Rose snapped her fingers at Gavin and he sighed. He walked over to what I assume is my parent's grave and started speaking gibberish. Rose, meanwhile, walked over to me.

"Does this happen often?" She asked sweetly. I shook my head, still unable to speak. She led me over to a bench by the entrance to the graveyard. I shakily rested my head on her shoulder and we just sat there while Gavin continued to speak gibberish incantations trying to revive my dead parents while I sit with my...girl....friend? Okay, obviously my life has not gone how I planned it but this is beyond normal. How could I, Owen, have a girlfriend? I understand, I need to get my priorities straight. But honestly, how do I have a girlfriend. Maybe I don't and I'm only over estimating things. I'm fairly sure I'm delusional. That makes perfect sense. I probably have dementia or something. I'm probably about to die.

(A/N: This feels like such an awkward chapter for Owen...oh well! Sorry for taking so long to update, I've been crazy busy. Does anyone even read this author's notes? I'm rambling and random oops. Later, lovelies.)