Chapter 21

Chapter 21:

            Kyle and I spent the rest of the day fighting not only the dummies but also each other. It was play fighting, and we used swords that didn’t have imperial gold, but I did stab him a few times. When I sufficiently wounded him and the two of us were completely tired out, we put the swords down and settled for a dinner of seaweed and fish. Unfortunately, neither of us have fire power (I think) so we have to manually build a pathetic fire to cook the fish that we caught. (Hand caught, Kyle is a wonderful swimmer.)

            By the time our simple dinner came to an end, the sun was setting. The sky turned the color of Rose’s hair; orange with hints of red and so radiant it hurt your eyes to look at it for too long. Kyle smiled at me, his teeth as white as the clouds we had stood on just earlier today.

            Just earlier today I met Kyle, learned that Brook AND Rose are freaking demons and I swear I am beginning the end. Impossible. Impossible. Impossible. Impossible! I’m freaking out for no freaking reason. My brain freaking hurts.

“Hey Owen?” Kyle asks.

I just make some sort of noise. Like a grunt, only a bit more high pitched.

“Well, how do you think you’re going to find your power?”

At this I bolt right up. Power. Just the word freaks me out. Maybe Kyle knows how to get powers for me or how to find them or knows what it is or something. I manage a small “I don’t know,” then lie back down.

“Well I have some ideas, but it could be drastic.” His voice dropped to a mumble at the word drastic. This doesn’t sound good.

“Anything to find them out.” I say confidently. Even though, frankly, I swear I’m dying inside. Who am I kidding? I’ve been dead for a while.

“Good that, training starts tomorrow. Might want to get some shuteye before…well…just go to sleep.

            Is it bad that I feel like crying?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            The morning sun is beating down on the hot sand, creating burns on Kyle, who didn’t find a towel to sleep on. He is still sleeping, so I cover him with my towel. He smiles, probably from a dream, or from being slightly aware of me touching him.

            I decide on a stroll along the beach to pass the time while Kyle sleeps. The sun has barely risen and it is already hot. I still have no idea where I am; at this point it doesn’t matter. The turquoise water is splashing at my dirty ankles. At of the corner of my eye, I sense motion. Assuming it is only a dolphin, I brush any negative thoughts away.

            I am so lost in my thoughts I don’t notice a figure walk up behind me. This mysterious person/thing taps me on the shoulder multiple times before I am brought back to reality. Nearly jumping out of my skin I realize who this disheveled thing is. It can’t be true…this has to be a trick, a part of my imagination. It has to be.

I stutter as I say her name.

“Grace?”