Chapter 23: Telling About Past

Priya P.O.V

It has been one hour since I called Veer. Now I am waiting for him in my room. After a few minutes, there was a Knock on my door and Veer entered he looked like he had just come from his office as he was still wearing his office clothes
But his jacket was missing and the first two buttons were undone. He was looking too hot to handle.

"Did I disturb you?" I asked him in a low voice but he just came near me and gave me a tight hug

"I missed you," he said to me while releasing me from the hug.
The lights of my room were dim and the moonlight coming from the window was shining on his handsome face. I really can't believe I got so lucky to call him Mine maybe for a short period but still I got a chance.

Before I could say anything there was another knock and this time Kalpana entered the room with two glasses of water and left us.

"You look pale. What happened?" He asked me while checking my forehead with his hand

I look outside the window and start talking to him. I can never be ready for this conversation thus let's get over this.

"The day I last met you 8 years ago was the same day I came to know my parents met with an accident.
I tried to call you many times but your phone was constantly going out of reach. Thus I thought to contact you later but how wrong I was.

The same day my aunt (Massi) took me with her to Delhi. Her husband was a very old-minded person according to her girls should wear certain clothes and should behave in a certain way." I stopped talking and thought about that day after a few seconds I again started talking

"When we first reached the house things were normal just the small change was that he took my phone as according to him unmarried girls should not have a phone or any electronic device.

But with time things got extremely hard as his ways of living were different from us from waking up early to do almost every household work. But I adjusted to their life as  I didn't have many options at that moment. My grandparents were too old to handle me or didn't want to have the responsibility of an unmarried girl and Bhai was still in London completing his MBBS. "

In that phase of time, I used to feel so lost as I had just lost my parents and there was no one to console me.

"The first few months it was still bearable but with time things started getting different as he didn't like me talking much as according to him girls don't talk so much. He didn't like me going out. He didn't even like me watching TV.

You asked me why I don't like Coffee anymore remember?" I asked him while still looking outside the window

I know he has been constantly looking towards me from the time I started talking but not once did he interpret me. He just sat there and gave me the energy to go on.

Without waiting for his answer I again started taking
" Once I had his strong urge to be this rebellious girl I used to be and decided I was not going to stay at home anymore and would treat myself to a hot cup of coffee today. It was mid-December month so I left the house and went to a cafe near the house.

When I came back he was sitting in the living room and was looking very angry. My aunt was trying to calm him down but he never listened to anyone. He was like this only."

I have just entered my aunt's house after having a coffee date with myself. I have decided to call Zaid Bhai today and will request him to come and take me with him. I can't stay with these people anymore they are putting me into more depression now.

When I came into the living room Uncle got up from his chair and said "Where were you?" In a very hard voice
" I just went for a coffee"
Before I could know what was happening he slapped me. It was the first time that anybody had slapped me. I fell on the floor with the impact and looked towards him with moist eyes while keeping my hand on the cheek which was burning with the pain.
When he noticed me looking at me he kicked me this time in my stomach and said " Don't you dare make eye contact with me. You are good for nothing girl is just a useless thing which I have to keep in my house just because her parents are no more."
He was drunk I could smell his breathing when his face came near me.

" You went to have coffee right!? You love coffee so much, right? Let's see how much coffee you love" After saying this he left the room and came back inside after a few minutes with a hot boiling pot of coffee in his hand. He grabbed my jaws in his hand and made me drink that hot boiling coffee directly from the pot. I tried to release myself but his strength was much more than me and by the time he was done my whole face, neck, chest and tongue was burning with unbearable pain.

No one helped me. I was heavily screaming for someone for anyone to help me but everyone stood there and watched him burning me.

He grabbed my hair his time made me face him and asked " Do you want more coffee? Tell me do you want?" I just shook my head hurriedly while my tears were flowing non-stop from my eyes.

" Will you ever drink coffee now?" He again grabbed my face and again I just shook my head as my throat was in pain as well as my heart. After he was done with his torcher. He just locked me in a room for 2 days with no water or food. I didn't even get any medical help as well. On that day I cried for my parents, for my friend, for my Bhai, for anyone to come and help me but that day was the start of my nightmares.

"He burned me, Veer, just because I went for a coffee," I said after telling him the whole story of that day.

When I looked towards him. He was looking ghostly pale like I just told him that someone died maybe I did tell him that as that day was the start of my old self getting dead day by day.

Before he could say anything I looked outside the window and started talking again

"After that day things turned into a mess I was not allowed to talk to anyone not even Bhai. If I had any conversation with him then it would be in front of him on the speaker. If I talked to anyone in college or outside the house then he would give me the punishments which were even worse. I could not go to any police as his son, Nayak used to follow me as a shadow and give my minute-to-minute details to him."

I stopped talking as now I had to tell him the hard part I looked towards him And saw him already looking towards me with a frightened look. Like he was scared of what I'd say next.

"Some of his punishments were very hard Veer, so hard that they left a lifetime mark on my soul and I don't want you to carry the burden of them"
He looked confused about what I was saying but today I have already decided to be crystal clear with him. Today's conversation will decide our future.

Taking a deep breath I removed my hoodi from me and now I was just wearing my backless top. I turned my back towards Veer and removed my long hair in front of me so that my back could be visible to him.

My room had a pin-drop silence thus when my back came into his view I was able to hear the gasp left in his mouth when he saw the marks of the horror I had faced.

My whole back had the memories of my punishment in the form of burn marks as well as belt marks which were able to peel my skin apart.

I kept quiet and let him take the news he had just received. I feel his cold fingers tracing my scars and a current passes through my body with his touch.

He just kept tracing my scars which are now light in colour but still can be seen easily. I waited for him to say something but what seemed like hours was only a few minutes he finally took a deep breath like he finally came out of a trace.

He still didn't say anything but took my blanket covered my shoulder from it and back-hugged me.

After this, he finally spoke making my strong facade break easily.

"This is still not a strong reason to run away from me"

......................................................................

What are your thoughts about Priya's past?
There is still much to come and to be told.