𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | 𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐏𝐘 𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐘𝐄𝐀𝐑

𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊𝐒 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑

Marianna stared at herself in the mirror, eyes looking over the red, tight dress on her body. Her hair was curled and she had light makeup on. She was convincing herself that everything was okay. She had to. It was New Years. Time to let things go, but Olivia would never be forgotten.

"Mario!" She heard her brother exclaim.

She furrowed her eyebrows, rushing out of the room. A huge smile approached her face as she rushed to her older brother, jumping into his arms.

Don't tell Ruby, but Mario was her favorite brother. He never made her feel dumb for not being school smart, never judged her choices.

"Hey, Red Riding Hood." Mario smiled, setting his sister on the ground. "I missed you."

"I missed you more, hermano." She smiles, hugging him once more.

"Ay, Mario. Stop with theatrics!" Geny waves off her son. "What's the surprise?"

"There's a surprise?" Marianna questions before her attention switches to her friend entering the home.

"Happy New Year!" Monse exclaims. "Did y'all know there's a pregnant white girl on your porch?"

The entire's family face dropped as they looked at the man, an awkward chuckle slipping from his lips.

"You're making me an aunt to a bebé blanco mestizo?" white half breed baby. Marianna's glares at him, anger laced in her tone.

"Surprise?" Mario questions with a nervous smile.

Everyone stared at the pregnant woman as she slurped on an empty drink. Marianna glared holes into her brother's head, her fists clenched under the table. She already hated the woman she'd probably be related to.

"I'm so sorry about your recent loss." Amber speaks up, and now Marianna was staring holes in her head. "My heart goes out to all of you. And as a beneficiary of white privilege, these kinds of tragedies are, like, foreign to me. So on behalf of my people, I am sorry for keeping your people down."

"Is she for real?" Monse leans over to the teen Martinez siblings.

"I hope so." Ruby chokes his laugh, clearly high.

"Who is this payasa?" clown. Marianna questions Mario, his glare causing her's to fade away.

"Okay, um, thank you, Amber." Geny speaks up. "We— We appreciate that."