𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄 | 𝐈𝐒 𝐈𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘'𝐒 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘?

Eighteen. One of the most important days of Marianna's life, but it was taken over by Olivia's funeral. Of course, Marianna was not blaming her for dying, if she was being honest, she was letting Olivia's death take over her day too.

As the family pulled back into their driveway, Marianna couldn't get herself to enter the house. Everything would be quiet, people's face would be full of sorrow and grief, and she couldn't put up with it anymore. She barely made it through the funeral.

So, while everyone walked into the house, Marianna made her way down the road. She needed fresh air. She couldn't breathe being around everyone. She was so in her head she didn't even notice the calling of her name until the person was in front of her.

"Red." Oscar slightly shook the girl.

"What?" She snapped out of her daze, focusing in on the man. "Yes? Sorry."

"Don't apologize." Oscar says, letting his hand fall as he grabbed her's. "How are you holding up?"

Marianna sucked in a deep breath as she shook her head. "I don't know. It's just... I always expected my eighteenth birthday to be different. I mean, I'm finally an adult, and instead of celebrating that, I'm grieving the death of one of my best friends— my- my sister."

Oscar pulled the girl close to him. He didn't know what to say. Yes, he had experienced death. He had lots of experience, but it felt like anything he said wouldn't help. Anything, but this...

"Happy birthday, hermosa." He whispers.

Marianna pulled away, looking at him in shock. "You're the first person to say that to me today." She admits, swallowing thickly as she looked at him. "Thank you."

"I have a plan." He states. "Go home, dress into something more comfortable, and meet me back here."

"I don't— I don't wanna go back home." She shakes her head.

"Okay, come on." He grabs her hand, leading her back to his house. "I have some clothes you can change into."

"Fine." She sighs. "But I'm not wearing some cholo shorts and a wife beater."

Oscar laughs as he shakes his head. "You'd pull it off though."

"I know." She sighs with a smile.

Marianna and Oscar sat in the sand, watching the waves crash onto the shore as they ate pasta. The sound of the waves, the seagulls swimming above them, and the quiet sound of an old couple talking caused Marianna a sense of peace. It was as if what happened a week ago never happened.

She looked over as the old couple laughed. She watched the man chase his wife down the shoreline, laughs erupting from her as he caught her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He bent down, grabbing a seashell and handed it to her.