16.

Christmas Eve.

A few days had passed since that awkward moment in the hallway where Fred had heard Hermione lie about her feelings. The pair of them had barely said two words to each other. They were both torn up inside, but decided to hide it from each other and everyone around them.

People were drifting apart in the family, that much was clear, so the Weasleys decided to have a Christmas Eve party to celebrate the victories they'd had in the past year and raise a glass to those they'd lost.

George was telling everyone how he was intending to get as he put it: 'absolutely hammered,' which made everyone laugh.

When the celebrations started. Molly had laid out a whole table full of nibbles like crisps, homemade sausage rolls and hummus and breadsticks.

Early in the evening, George was certainly living up to his promise as he was already tipsy. Hermione went over to the table to get some food. Fred was already there, piling his plate with everything he could find.

Hermione went to grab a breadstick at the same time as Fred and their hands touched for a brief moment. They both immediately retracted their arms and looked at the floor.

"Here." He said and put a breadstick on Hermione's plate.

"Oh...um...thanks." She said, sheepishly.

He left the table and went to eat in the kitchen.

"Fred," she called after him, but he just walked away. Hermione didn't know whether he heard her or not, but the rejection stung all the same. She looked longingly at him when she heard George behind her.

"Hey Hermione, guess what?"

"Hammered yet, George?" She laughed.

"You see my twin brother over there?" He said, gesturing towards the kitchen where they could see Fred tucking into his food.

"Yeah." Said Hermione.

"He fancies you." George slurred.

"He does?" Asked Hermione.

"Yeah he reeaaaally fancies you." He giggled.

"How'd you know?" She asked.

"He's been pining after you for years. He just hadn't admitted it until now." George said. "I've known since the Yule ball. He wanted to ask you, you know."

"He what?"

"He never plucked up the courage to do it. He told me he was going to and then he heard you were going with someone else and bailed on the idea. Why'd you think he was staring at you the entire time? And why do you think he ran after you when Ron upset you? Angelina found it pretty annoying, so she went for the younger model. Well, by a few minutes anyway."

Hermione was shocked. She didn't know what to say. She put her plate down and went upstairs. She found herself with tears in her eyes, sitting alone on Fred's bed. Was that really true? Had it been that long?"

She couldn't stop the tears from spilling down her cheeks. She didn't know what this feeling was. She was feeling happy that Fred liked her back but also angry at herself for not noticing him but sad that he acted like he didn't want her.

She lay down, clutching his knitted jumper and holding it to her chest, unsure of what to do next.

Just then, Fred stumbled into his room.

"Oh" he said in surprise. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." She said.

"Why are you crying?" He asked, crouching down beside the bed.