11.

When Ron left, the goodbye was more heartfelt. The pair of them exchanged "I love you's" and a kiss and a few tears from Hermione.

"Promise you'll write this time?" She asked, tugging at his jacket.

"Yeah." Ron responded, taking her hands and squeezing them.

She watched Ron walk off into the distance and smiled.

"You'll be alright, Granger." Fred said, putting his arm around her.

"I always am." she smiled up at Fred.

"Course." Fred winked. "You know where I am if you need me." He said comfortingly.

"Yeah." She said, resting her head on him.

He pulled her closer which made her smile.

"Anyway, I need to get back. Classes start again, soon." She said.

"Oh yeah, sure. I can walk you back." Offered Fred, taking his arm off her.

Say no, say no, say no. This is dangerous, you love Ron. You can't afford anymore complications to your relationship. Ron's the one you want, Hermione. Get a grip.

"Sure." She smiled.

"Miss Granger may I accompany you to the cold, desolate castle of Hogwarts."

"Fredrick Weasley, you may." She giggled.

"I really appreciate everything you do, Fred. You're a really great friend, you know and I'd do anything for you." She said, fondly when they got to Hogwarts.

"Yeah you too. And I'm living above the joke shop now. It won't be open for a little while yet, probably not til after Christmas so I'll just be hanging around there if you ever wanted to come and see me."

"Yeah that'd be nice." She responded bashfully.

"Anyway, I'll see you later. I wouldn't want the bookworm to be late for class." He joked.

"Don't call me bookworm, Fredrick." Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

"Don't call me Fredrick..bookworm." He teased.

They laughed together and looked into each other's eyes.

"Yeah I should.." she said

"Yeah see ya." He responded.

They both turned around, concealing their secret smiles from one another.

"Hermione Jean Granger, what on earth was that?" Called Ginny walking towards Hermione.

"What was what?" Asked Hermione, playing dumb for what was probably the first time in her life.

"I knew it. You like Fred, don't you?" She said.

"No, no I love Ron, Ginny. He's who I'm with." She denied.

"I know you're with Ron but you've not been happy with him for a long time. But you know who you would be happy with? Fred." She said. She didn't seem angry at all, more chuffed that she'd worked it out.

"No, me and Ron are just in a rough patch right now, we're working through it. Plus even if I did like Fred, which I don't..." Hermione said, glaring at Ginny. "I couldn't dump Ron for his own brother. Imagine the emotions that would stir up."

"Well I just witnessed you staring into each other's eyes and smiling. Plus Fred doesn't just walk somebody somewhere when they ask."

"Well I didn't ask actually he sort of...offered." Said Hermione reluctantly.