thirty

"I must say you're looking very young today, Doctor."

Y/n and Dottore were leaving La Signora's funeral. Truth be told, y/n had never met the lady even when she was standing outside of the harbinger meeting. So, she didn't exactly know how to feel at the death of someone she didn't know.

She ultimately decided not to think any longer over the woman who was La Signora, and decided to focus on the girl who came up to talk to them, or .. well, came up to talk to Dottore.

"You know very well that I don't take that as a compliment," he said a bit harshly to the girl, who y/n remembered was called Columbina.

She merely smiled and changed the subject to a different matter but y/n, from the next question that was asked, felt like Columbina's words were somehow related to one another, "so, where is the segment that is in the prime of his life then?"

Dottore thought for a moment, "heh, he's busy with .. a little experiment."

He decided to leave it at the, Columbina being slightly amused by Dottore's vague words. And y/n? She could only wonder what the two were talking about. The segment that is in the prime of his life? What on earth does that mean? Dottore took notice of her confusion almost immediately and struggled to retain his sigh. He knew he would have had to explain things to her eventually.

So the moment they got into the carriage, he spoke before y/n could ask any questions.

"Columbina was referring to my clone, or, at least, one of them."

Hah?

Y/n had a deadpanned expression painted perfectly across her face. No words could leave her mouth as she tried to process what he had just said.

Did I hear that right?

A clone?

A clone of Dottore no less?

Oh archons- there's two of them?!

"A .. clone ..?"

"Well, clones would be the more correct term."

"There's more than two of you?!"

She just realized that she said that out loud.

Chuckling, he leaned back in his seat, "don't sound too astonished now. Surely you should have at least guessed i would have gone that far with my research."

"But to clone yourself," she finally asked, "makes me wonder what your other clones are doing...and if they look exactly like you...," she trailed off on that last part as she looked at him. Well, he did say clones, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch that they look like him.

"Anyway," she said abruptly, "Columbina said the prime of his life and how much younger you look, right? So .. like .. how much older are we talking about here?"

Dottore gave her a look and despite his eyes being covered, she could tell by his lips formed a tight line that he was absolutely done with her.

"Don't tell me you're actually thinking of trying to get with my-"

"No!"

She laughed nervously as she hit his arm, "I was just wondering, ok?!"

Dottore chuckled a little, "well whatever the case may be for your questions, you'll probably meet him someday. But for now, there was something else on mind that has been bugging me quite a lot."

She gave him her full attention, best deciding that the thoughts of his clones and what they could possibly be doing should be pushed away.

"What is it?"

"You were going to tell me something, were you not?

"Tell you something...?"

"When we were interrupted in my lab," he urged, he was curious. That much was for sure. He wanted to see if y/n could surprise even more than she already did.

"O- oh, right. That..."

Yes. That.