thirty seven

Y/n was easily kicked off to the side. Blood spilling from her mouth as she clutched at her stomach.

Was this all the strength that I had?

A ragged cough escaped her lips as she tried to sit up, but she couldn't. Her attempts would end up and failure and she would fall back to the ground. Exhaustion soon to take over as her vision became darker and blurry. Her breaths soon being labored as sort of coldness set in.

The pain not once subsiding.

For a second, she thought someone was calling out to her, but she couldn't really tell. Only a ringing in her ears remained.

Can I not do anything else to save my brother? To help Dottore?

She managed to turn onto her side and somewhat be able to see and watch the fight continue.

How is Arthur so strong?

Her lips trembled a little.

Until her eyes caught sight of Dottore's discarded bag.

"You would be surprised how many people would like to get their hands on my work."

"Work? Wait.. what exactly did you pack in your bags anyway? Please tell you packed basic hygiene stuff-"

He ruffled through the nearest bag he brought with him near the fire. And in a few quick seconds he pulled out the vile with the enhanced formula within it.

"What does it do?"

"Oh y/n, oh y/n, don't you remember? It's the serum I was telling you about a few weeks ago. An enhanced human formula."

"I get that," she said with a smile, "what i mean was.. how does it change the person? You know, like .. how does it change their body so they could become enhanced."

"Ahh! So that's what you meant, well, I'm glad you asked." He got up from his chair and moved around his desk so he was sitting on the edge of it. His feet crossing as he leaned back a little. He seemed way too excited with explaining how it worked to her...

"Alright, listen closely. Usually I would focus more on actual body enhancements. Changing body parts, the anatomy of a human being, even going as far as to change a person's genetics. Though, then this came into mind. What if I changed how someone could use the elements instead? Having a strong body would certainly help in a fight with an archon, but not using a vision and still be able to control the elements would be something quite useful."

Dottore, for a moment, thought back to Childe's recent report on "the traveler." This person, presumably from another world, managed to defeat Childe so easily. Granted Childe is the weakest out of them all, but defeating a harbinger without a vision is still no easy task. And now the traveler is in Inazuma. Scaramouche and La Signora should be going there to retrieve the electro gnosis. So, Dottore was going to get more info on the traveler sooner or later.

"So .. you want them to be like an archon then? Cause I hear that archons don't need visions too."

He looked over her, a smile grazing his lips before bringing up the vile for them both to look at.

"Exactly. Or, well, that is the basics of it..," he said trailing off, "it would make more sense if I showed you, but I currently don't have any test subjects to use."

She winced when she reached for the bag.

Her hand grabbing a hold of the strap and gently pulling it close to herself.

She struggled with the small task though, and even having a hard time with gripping the small zipper.

Finally getting it to open though, she ruffled through the contents until she found the vile she was looking for. Pulling it out, she watched the blue liquid slosh around in the vile.

What if I...

Drink this?

Sounds of metal clashing together and skin tearing and blood splattering filled her ears to the brim.

Would I be able to..

Defeat him?

She managed to steady her hands as she opened the vile, and taking one last look at Laphi who was unconscious and at Dottore and Arthur who were deep into their fight... she downed the liquid in one go.