seventy three

Aurora's pov:

The next morning I felt ready to face Elio and properly speak to him about what I saw when I accidentally walked in on him. I had a fresh shower early and got to read a bit before breakfast. When I began hearing students leave their dorms I as well got my schoolbag to leave. Emeline was getting ready in the bathroom and Pansy hadn't spent the night.

"I know you must've hated me, but now that you know the truth with Theo, are we okay?" I turned around to see Emeline bring some clothes out of the bathroom.

"I never hated you," I clarified. I felt awkward talking to her about all this. I wanted everything to be left unsaid. "We're okay," I insisted.

"I do hope we could become friends," I turned to look at her to see if she was being serious and sure enough she had a genuine smile on her face while looking at me. I forced a smile onto my face.

"Yeah, I'm just not sure how that would work. I don't think we have anything in common," I said, trying to find an excuse to end the conversation

"We can study together," Emeline suggested.

I rubbed the back of my neck nervously as I realized she was actually trying to be friends. "I thought you had friends to do that with," I said.

"Yes, but I only study transfiguration with Theo and he's not very good at it," I lightly chuckled at her subtle insult. I nodded my head in understanding.

"Yeah," I agreed, "I usually study transfiguration in here on Tuesday, so..." I offered the silent invitation. I quickly bid her goodbye and went down to the common room. I didn't see anyone I knew there so I figured they were at breakfast already. When I walked into the Great Hall I saw Blaise sitting with Luna at the Ravenclaw table. I silently wondered if they were beginning to make their relationship public. As I went towards our usual spot only Elio, Theo, and Pansy were there.

"Where's Draco?" I asked as I sat down.

"He's been training early so he's probably still out there," Theo said. I nodded my head in understanding. As I grabbed some fruit to munch on I looked over at Elio to see him quickly look away from me. I casually turned around to look at the Hufflepuff table just in time to see Henry's eyes turn to me from Elio when he realized I had caught him staring at Elio. He quickly turned his attention to his friends as I turned back around to eat.

"Sorry I left you alone with Emeline," Pansy said. I turned my attention back to the group in front of me. It took me a second to process what she had said and quickly shook my head.

"It's fine. I've told you. I don't care," I said.

"No, it's not," she insisted. She turned to look at Theo and pointed an accusatory finger at him, "You. You're not allowed in our room if I'm not there," Theo hummed in agreement and continued eating his breakfast. "Anyways, I'll be there tonight."

"It's fine, Pansy. I'm okay," I smiled at her and for the first time in a while it felt extremely genuine. As everyone got up to go to classes I tried to catch up to Elio but he quickly immersed himself in the crowd and I lost him.

"Aurora?" I turned around to look at Theo as he looked at me in confusion, "Did Elio just run away from you?" he asked. I nodded my head. "Let's go to class, yeah?" I nodded my head again. "Why is he avoiding you?"

"He has been avoiding me!" I burst out. For a while I had convinced myself it was all in my head. "Ever since I walked in on him and H-" I quickly stopped and looked up at Theo with wide eyes as I realized my mistake.

"You saw who he was with on Saturday," Theo's sleepy eyes quickly went away and he looked alert and ready to gossip.

"I can't tell you." I gave up. Theo looked at me desperately but I remembered I was slightly annoyed with him so it was quite easy to not say anything.