Chapter 13 - An Unclosed Case

----

⚠️This chapter contains a graphic description of gore. If you want to skip that part that starts with (!!!) this, you may read the rest where it starts with this (*)!⚠️

----

The first, yet stringent training session had ended, leaving both yourself and Leon drenched in sweat. The prospect of returning home to indulge in a long soak in the bathtub had never seemed more appealing to you. Funny how Leon told you, you would start off easy.

The clock nears 2 in the afternoon. You, Leon, and Chris make your way back to the base. Clueless to the topic of conversation between Chris and Leon during your wait inside the training room, you notice that silence prevails between them and avoid eye contact with each other as you follow behind upon exiting. The quiet atmosphere only piques your curiosity.

Soon, the three of you approach the base's corridors, painted in shades of cold white and delicate baby grey, finally reaching the entrance. Chris presses his hand against the scanner, successfully granting access through the base's doors, only to find Claire, Carlos, Luis, and Piers gathered around the table. That only means one thing: A meeting, and since it's that unexpected, it surely means it's not for good, which probably explains Chris's visit to the training room.

Then again, most meetings within the team are often unexpected...

As you enter the room, all eyes shift towards you and Leon, with Luis raising an amused eyebrow at your damp state. Making your way further inside, the others have now a clearer view of your appearance.

"Is it raining outside?" Luis taunts playfully, his posture relaxed against his chair.

"Very funny," Leon retorts, approaching the table. You follow closely, taking a seat beside Claire on her right. Her gaze swept over Leon and then you before she leans in closer.

"I see you had a unique first session?" Claire speaks in a teasing tone.

"Yeah. I am ready to defend the country now," you quietly joke, prompting a chuckle from Claire. Glancing to your left, you see Luis casting a flirtatious glance your way. Your eyes lock momentarily, and he playfully winks at you.

God, you forgot about him and his teasing.

"Come on, let's not waste any time," Chris urges, hastening his way to his seat, while Leon settles next to Claire on her left. Chris sits at the center, resting his hands atop the table's white circular surface. "Piers, did you bring Leon's report?"

Piers nods. "Right here, Captain," he says, rising from his seat and placing the file in front of Chris before retaking his own. Chris opens the file, and the room collectively falls into a peaceful silence as all eyes are turned toward him. Your gaze moves to Leon, who wears an expression of cautious curiosity. Returning your attention to Chris, you begin to wonder about the importance of Leon's report at the table and its unknown content.

A second later, Chris begins to read out loud,

"'Osmund Saddler, subsequent to enduring a lethal blow inflicted by Agent Leon Scott Kennedy upon the radiant yellow nucleus, using a bony blade appended to the conglomeration of sturdy tentacles, experienced a collapse into the encompassing sea, succumbing to the consequential injuries. The Agent lost visual contact with the entity. At precisely 6:34 A.M, Agent Kennedy successfully conducted the extraction of the President's daughter, Ashley Graham, from the confines of the island. In a matter of seconds thereafter, the detonation transpired, engulfing all remaining survivors in a conflagration.'" He completes.