Chapter 15 - Resignation

----

|- Extremely Long Chapter - |
(making up for the false alarm, I still feel baddd!!)

(The chapter might be taken down and immediately reuploaded, if some scenes won't load.)

----

⚠️ This chapter contains scenes that might bring you discomfort. If you want to skip that part that starts with (!!!) this, you may read the rest where it starts with this (*)! ⚠️

----

9:12 P.M

"What?" Chris asks, shock written all over his features, his fingers pressed against his earpiece as he listens intently. The entire team watches, held in a silent moment of tense worry. "Where are you now?"

Right after you announced the final synopsis to the team, Luis got in touch through his earpiece with Chris. The expression on Chris's face tells you that he bears bad news. Your anxiety mounts as you wait in the quietness, watching him as he talks. 

You clutch your notebook tightly, your heart racing, hoping that everything is alright.

"Do you want me to send Piers or Carlos?...Alright. We'll be waiting." He says, before ending the communication with Luis through his earpiece. He seems troubled and frustrated.

"What happened?"

"What's going on?" Carlos and Claire ask, their faces etched with concern. Chris lets out a sigh, his hand coming to rest on the back of a nearby chair.

"They have found people infected with the parasite..." Your eyes widen in shock, making eye contact with Claire. "Outside of Vinderline, inside a forest."

"What?" Carlos's disbelief echoes through the room.

"Does that mean that-"

"The samples have been used," Chris announces, his disappointment palpable from the tone in his voice. It's a fear he's had since the mission began, and now it's come to pass. 

Piers clenches his jaw, exhaling heavily as he rises from his seat, seeming clearly frustrated by the news.

"What did Luis say?" Claire asks.

"He's with Leon. They're in contact with his agency, arranging to take over and transport the bodies here for examination." The room falls into a heavy silence, each of the remaining members processing the situation and contemplating their next move. But what can you really do when you don't even know where the remaining samples are at?

"What's the plan, captain?" Piers asks, his voice steady despite the frustration he's obviously feeling. Chris looks around at the team, until his gaze eventually finds on you, and soon he approaches you.

"(y/n)... I will need you to assist Luis in obtaining blood samples and anything else he requires for surgical removal," he requests, instead of ordering. Something that confuses you a bit. Chris has been...acting weird today in general. Or maybe everything's in your head.. 

"Okay. You can count on me, Chris." You respond with assurance, maintaining your professional tone. You already did the dirty job, by taking care of the bodies from the island a few weeks back. Wouldn't hurt to help with two more.