Chapter 20

Cas,

To think I won't be able to see your smiling face any more. I will never get to hear I love you ever again, or say it to you. I won't beat around the bush, I know how much you hate that, Cassidy I'm dead. There's no coming back from that, as much as we might wish we could. You can't resurrect the dead unfortunately. Even though I may not be with you or Harry in person, I am with you in spirit. I know when my time comes I won't be afraid to cross over, but I will always be by your side fighting a fight you may never see.

As much as I would like to say there is nothing but light that surrounds you, we both know that's not true. There is a darkness that has formed in the world. It's barely begun to recover from Grindelwald, who truly began this movement that we are fighting now. It's hard to believe that there will never be a time in which no darkness plagues this Earth. It's even harder to believe that Voldemort has chosen Harry to be the one to end his reign, but that's what has happened. You knew Voldemort would kill us, well you didn't know, you just knew that there was going to be a future without Lily or I in it. Whether that means Voldemort is dead or not I do know, but while I sit here and write this to you, I have a pit in my stomach telling me he's not going to truly be gone. I have this feeling as though there is going to be a darkness that will plague you for the rest of your life after Lily and I die. Padfoot, and Lily would prefer I didn't tell you this, but since the day I got you I've been nothing but truthful to you, and that won't end now.

You were probably too young to remember that final conversation that we had in your home, the night before Lily and I went into hiding. So I'm going to tell you about it.

You didn't tell your father the whole vision of what you saw, but you told me. You saw a dark future full of violence and death. You saw people being torture muggle-borns and pure bloods alike. You saw a new order had been formed, of new and old people. You saw yourself fighting amongst them, with them. You also saw yourself fighting against them, fighting with the darkness and not against it. Your future right now Cassidy is uncertain, but I know you better than you know yourself, I most certainly know you better than the future knows you.

You were scared, petrified of the idea of going against your loved ones, so this is what I told you.

You were a gift of light in the darkness. You've brought joy and love to many people who were unable to experience that joy or love. You're a fighter Cassidy, so I know that you will fight until you're no longer able to. I will be there with you in your darkest moments, when you begin to think that you can't win, I will be there to make sure you get back up and keep fighting. It's not your fault that darkness may follow you, most of your family is fighting with that darkness that you've seen. So of course it's going to tempt you, reach out to you, beckon you back home. You're father was the first person brave enough to fight it and run from it. So that's what you'll do Cassidy. Fight it, don't let it win. If you can't fight it any longer then you run, run as far away as you can. Some may call you a coward, but they'll be wrong. It takes someone strong to realize when they may need help, or when they may need to run.

Here's my final piece of advice live as though you don't know what the future holds. That's something I've been telling you for a long time. You used to come to me about all of your vision, scared to do something that may change it, or doing something that may solidify it. Just because you do one thing, doesn't mean it will do anything to what you may have seen. Don't worry about what the future holds for you, or for others. You can't always do something about it, even though you may want to. You know that somehow, someway we may die, but you don't know how, when or why. You wanted to do something to prevent it, but Lily, Padfoot and I all knew that it would just delay the inevitable. 

Surround yourself with other people who carry a bright light. Don't allow yourself to be surrounded by the darkness.

Cassidy, I love you, there will never be a day that I don't. You are my daughter, Lily might insist that we call you our niece, but I refuse. Padfoot may be your father, but you are my daughter. It was hard for him to admit that to me, he wishes that he took on his role of father quicker than he did, but he can't change the past as much as you can't change the future and that's okay. He loves you more than life itself now.

Eventually this letter has to come to an end but I find it hard to end it. Knowing that this is a death letter, knowing that the only time you will read it is when I am dead. I've always wanted you to grow up in a time of peace with no war on the horizon, I hope you get sometime with it like that, I hope you forget the vision you saw and are able to live in ignorance for a very long time. I know that it will come to an end eventually, a very abrupt end, but I hope you get some of that peace we were fighting for.

I love you Cassidy Black, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. You brought me out of a dark place, a place not many people realized I was in. As long as you continue to fight, I will never stop fighting for you, not even then possibly.

Love you always sunshine,

James Potter