32.

"What?! You're dropping out of the series against Australia?" Chandni asked Dev in shock.
"Yeah, it's around the same time as your wedding. I ain't missing your wedding." Dev remarked casually.
"But Dev, isn't it important? Afterall the opposition is Australia!" His sister persisted.
"Have I not played against Australia before? It is only a two match series da! And I've already applied for a leave." Dev dismissed Chandni's concern about his career.
"Go now get ready we've to leave in ten minutes." He urged his sister.
"Also where's Vedangi? Isn't she coming with us?" Dev asked hopefully.
Chandni's face flashed an unreadable expression which Dev found weird.
"She's coming from the office directly. She messaged me saying Dhruv is going to drop her." Chandni said.
Dev's face fell for a fraction of a second and Chandni did not fail to capture it.
He got up and grabbed the car keys, closing the door behind him.

Dev sat on the chair besides the large window of the first floor in the store. His thoughts engulfed with the need to see Vedangi. There was no need for her to ask Dhruv to drop her at the place. Dhruv seldom made his appearance on her Instagram stories, but whenever he did, he always looked at her with admiration. The photos were always candids or them making weird faces. The only thing constant in every photo was Dhruv looking at Vedangi with warmth.
Dev looked down at the road below in hopes of catching a glimpse of her before everyone else.

He watched with anticipation until a black scooter stopped infront of the store. Vedangi unwrapped her scarf from her face before touching Dhruv's arm as she got down. After a short exchange of words, Vedangi turned to cross the road. She backed away rapidly on seeing an SUV zooming in her direction. Dev flinched at the sight of the car speeding by. What if she hadn't shown presence of mind and backed away on time? Dev muttered a quick thankyou to God for saving her.
He saw her entering the store and moved his eyes to the door on his right.

Vedangi pushed the door ajar, walking in like a goddess. She wore a white chikankari kurti, a sleeveless strappy one with her signature blue baggy jeans. A blue scarf with pink tassels hung on the handle of her pink tote bag. The silver jhumkas in her ears danced as she approached Chandni with a wide smile. Like always, a small black bindi sat on her forehead elegantly. Dev could feel his heart do a somersault at her sight. He was so jealous of Dhruv getting to see her before he could.
If love is this beautiful, was it even love with Disha?

At this point he would even listen to her talk about how bad of a team Royal Challengers Bangalore is compared to Mumbai Indians if that meant a reason to keep looking at her. Fifteen minutes later, Vedangi joined Dev in the seat overlooking the large window.
"Finally remembered that I exist?" Dev started a conversation, fully aware of how silly he sounded.
As expected, Vedangi laughed before she replied, "Look at you cribbing like a child at the lack of attention for fifteen minutes!"
"Humesha toh public aur media ki nazar mein rehte ho." She added.
"That's obnoxious. Real attention is what you get from your close ones." Dev reasoned and Vedangi looked visibly impressed.
"She's bound to get all the attention da! She's the bride!" Vedangi looked at Chandni and then at Dev.
"Da and all? Picked up the Bangalorean accent already?" Dev asked in honest amusement. Vedangi smirked in response.

"Look at this saree! It's so pretty!" Vedangi exclaimed as she picked up a saree. Dev looked at the Kasavu saree in her hand. The classic Malayali piece of clothing that instantly transformed every woman into a goddess. Dev had always loved when his mother and sister wore the Kasavu at Onam. He would greatly appreciate Vedangi getting one for herself, Dev thought selfishly.
"You should totally get this, the quintessential Malayali saree. It is like a tool to identify a Malayali in a crowd of thousands. " Dev said.

Vedangi kept the saree over her shoulder, observing herself through every angle. Dev on the other hand, imagined the day she would wear this Kasavu and walk all over the place like an absolute goddess. With her shiny black hair, it would be a cherry on top.
A sudden nudge in the stomach brought him out of his dreamland.
"Kaisi lag rahi hai?" Vedangi asked Dev looking into the mirror all the while.
"Manoharam!" Dev replied spontaneously in Malayalam.
Vedangi smiled sweetly at his response and turned to face him.
"Wear this and one Malayali guy would fall at your mercy." Dev said dramatically.
"Only one?" She asked jokingly and he laughed.
"So, time to use my salary for a good cause." Vedangi remarked and started walking to where Chandni and her mother sat.
"Aye no! This is going to be included in the wedding shopping. You're not going to pay separately." Dev spoke authoratively.
"Ayyo why? I earn enough to buy myself a saree!" Vedangi argued defensively.
"I know you earn well enough to buy yourself a saree but this is for Chandu's wedding no? It's imperative for your saree to be included with everything else." Dev reasoned.
Vedangi opened her mouth to say more but she was stopped by Dev.
"Amma and Achan wouldn't like it, believe me. They see you like their daughter." Dev said softly.
Vedangi couldn't argue anymore and accepted his decision.

"Kabhi Lucknow aana, tumhe Lucknowi Biryani khilaungi." Vedangi said to Dev.
"Aur Tunday Kebab?" Dev questioned instead.
"That's imperative. You have to have Tunday Kebab when in Lucknow!"
Vedangi responded excitedly.
"Will it be better than the Biryani you made?" Dev asked amused.
"Certainly! It's a part of a legacy that's in Awadhi cuisine since ages!" Vedangi answered.
"But tumhari Biryani was impeccable!" Dev added.
"Hum Lucknow se hai janab! Hogi hi achhi!" Vedangi said in an Uttar Pradeshi accent that led both of them to laugh heartwarmingly.

Ye Lucknowi phuljhadi jaan hi le legi! Dev thought that night before going to sleep.

ऐसी उलझी नज़र उनसे हटती नहीं 🦋

_________________________________________

Dev and his obsession with calling Vedangi a goddess 💗🤌

(Kurta and jeans is the author's aesthetic too😉💓)