45.

🎶 ~ Saudebaazi by Javed Ali

"Come on Dev! Don't be such a crybaby!" Disha groaned. She was trying to convince Dev to go out with her on a drive for a change of surroundings.
"You know I don't like going out." Dev dismissed.
"What if I tell you that a surprise awaits you?" Disha said suggestively.
"What surprise? Has Ronaldo come to India to meet me?" He replied sarcastically but ultimately agreed.

Dev got into the car with Disha, it was almost nine thirty in the night. He looked out of the window as she drove rapidly towards their destination. Disha glanced at Dev who had a forlorn expression on his face. She was positive of his sad face turning to a jovial one in a matter of an hour.
Turning on the music, Disha smiled satisfactorily as her favourite song played. Dev looked at the radio on listening to Iktara playing on it.
"This is her favorite movie." Dev recalled.
"Really? Wakeup Sid is definitely worth loving!" Disha remarked and swiftly turned the car towards a hill.

Throughout the drive, Disha remembered the exact moment she had introduced Dev to this place. It was a small hill which was a spot for people to come and relax, talk, eat or just watch the horizon. She remembered the sunset she had watched from that place with Dev by her side.
Sunsets had always been a special part of her life. Dev and her had stayed late in the college that day and she had helped him complete his assignments owing to his busy cricket schedule.
After that, they had visited this place and Disha had decided to propose to Dev while the sun set in the background. But before she could have acted upon her instinct, Dev had received an urgent call from his coach for the Ranji Trophy. Next time, she had thought only for it to never turn true.

The citylights looked insanely pretty from this hilltop. Disha knew of Dev's liking for citylights. She wanted him to live the happiest moment of his life infront of the citylights.
On reaching the top, Disha stopped the car.
"Isn't this the same place we had been to?" Dev asked stepping out of the car.
Disha nodded and followed him as he walked to the end of the landscape.
Dev couldn't help but gape at the beauty infront of him. The citylights had always brought joy to him and they left him in awe till date.
He smiled watching the lights flicker and blink in a random manner. The whites, reds and goldens blended beautifully amongst themselves and complimented the dark sky.
"Mind-blowing." Dev mumbled softly, his eyes not leaving the citylights for a second.
"Want to see what's the surprise?" Disha questioned with a playful tone. Dev smiled and Disha gestured, turning back.

Dev stood in utter shock watching Vedangi standing infront of him. He was reminded of the six months he had spent in agony, they flashed infront of his eyes rapidly. Vedangi looked unreal to his eyes. It was as if he blinked, she would disappear. Vedangi wore the exact same brown top that she had worn months back when he had realized that he was in love with her.
Her eyes were glossy.
"Dev." Vedangi called out his name softly.
All this while his emotions had been held by a string from the past which broke when Dev heard Vedangi say his name. Unable to control the tumultuous wave of realization anymore, he burst into tears.
Seeing him sob in a heartbroken way, Vedangi ran to him. Putting her arms around his neck, Vedangi hugged him tight. The staggering impact made Dev lurch backwards but he steadied himself before his arms went around her waist.

"I - I love you so much! Oh God!" Dev confessed through his tears. He was holding her like his life depended on her. He could not bear to let go of her once again. The fragrance of her hair calmed him down.
Vedangi smiled through her tears before she replied, "I love you too! I'm so sorry! I love you!"
Vedangi could only imagine what he had been through due to her fault. The intensity of Dev's embrace conveyed the desperation in him.
"Please don't leave me, only I know what all these months have been like without you. I cannot bear all of this ever again!" Dev said to her in a shaky voice.
Vedangi nodded urgently while running her fingers through his hair.