17.

Devdutt was enjoying his time in Australia. Today was their third and last T20 at Melbourne Cricket Ground. Devdutt had played decently in the second match, amassing a score of sixty eight runs in partnership with Ishan Kishan. He hoped to do well today.

Looking out of the bus window, Dev caught a teen couple kissing. Smiling at the scene that passed, he unknowingly imagined himself kissing Vedangi. Surprised at this unusual occurence, Devdutt tried to brush off the image but failed. He held his head in his hand and closed his eyes.

Vedangi? When did she enter the scenario? He believed it was a part of his mind games because he couldn't possibly think of any other girl that wasn't Disha. His hopeful mind had kept waiting and he tried to convince it to wait more. But was he really ready to wait? Had the love started to fade away?
Vedangi was a friend plus foe for him and he wouldn't want to have any explicit thoughts about her again.

Opening his Instagram, Devdutt sighed at the post that popped up on his feed. It was from Vedangi's account. He swiped the pictures only for his fingers to halt at a familiar face.
Why was Dhruv Bramhecha in the photo? And why was he standing so close to her?
It wasn't rocket science for him to understand that Vedangi's friend Dhruv was Disha's cousin.

He hated Dhruv all the more now.

______

"Hello Aunty!" Vedangi greeted Ambili Padikkal as she entered through the door.
"Vedangi! It's good that you're here, have some Payasam." Ambili smiled seeing her and proceeded to bring a bowl of Payasam.
"This is amazing! It's kheer right?" Vedangi relished the Malayali dish.
"Yes we call it Payasam."
"What's the occasion by the way? Ya aise hi?" Vedangi asked sensing joy on Dev's parents' faces.
"Chandu is getting married!" Devdutt's father revealed and Vedangi squealed.
"What!? Really when?!" Vedangi asked in one go.
"Yesterday Chandu introduced us to her boyfriend Aakash and we spoke to his parents today morning. The engagement is next month." Ambili informed while Vedangi's smile only grew wider.
"And Chandu said she wants you to come with us for the wedding shopping." Ambili added.
"Oh my God, I'd love to! I'm so happy for her!" Vedangi exclaimed.

Vedangi waited for Devdutt's mother to bring the food from the kitchen while she arranged the cutlery. The glass in her hand slipped, spilling the water over the table when she heard a loud noise from the kitchen. Without waiting a second, Vedangi rushed to the kitchen only to find Ambili Padikkal standing with her head in her hand at the edge of the kitchen slab. A large steel vessel had fallen to the ground leading to the loud sound.
"Aunty! What happened? Are you okay?!" Vedangi rushed to her side holding her by the shoulders.
"I felt dizzy suddenly." Ambili replied in distress.
"Okay let's get you to your room." Vedangi took her to the bedroom.

She then filled up a plate with food and fed Devdutt's mother herself. Somewhere, Vedangi saw her mother in his mother. She missed her parents badly and Devdutt's parents had been nothing less to her. Taking care of his mother felt more of a compensation to the guilt that lived in her mind of not being able to tend to her parents.

________

Ambili Padikkal observed Vedangi as she ate food. She seemed perfect from every angle. Over the three months of her being there, Ambili was sure of Vedangi being a nice prospect for her son.
Like every mother, Ambili also cared for her children. Now that Chandni's life was on track, she looked out for Dev. He was still way too young to get married but Ambili kept her watch.

Vedangi noticed Dev's mother watching her keenly. "Aise kyun dekh rahi ho aap?"
"Kuch nahi. Mere liye tum bhi Chandu jaisi ho." Ambili answered lovingly.
Vedangi smiled sweetly at that.
"Aur aap bhi mujhe Maa jaisi ho. Unke sath nahi hu but aapke sath reh ke aisa lagta hai jaise mein Maa ke sath hu."
"That is one of the main reason why I keep visiting your house. It feels homely."
Vedangi added.
"Tumhara hi ghar hai, jab bhi man kare chali aana." Ambili caressed Vedangi cheek with love.

She was all the more sure now. Vedangi would make an amazing daughter in law.

________

Devdutt was about to go to sleep until a message popped up. He found it strange for Nitya had never messaged him after Disha left Bangalore.
Skeptically, Devdutt opened her message only for his world to stop spinning at that instance.

'Dev, Disha is coming back to Bangalore.'