36.

"How far is Allepey from Edappal?" Vedangi asked getting in besides the driver's seat.
"Three and a half hours at the most." Dev replied.
"Everyone has reached the hotel?" Vedangi enquired.
"Nope, they'll be here by night." He answered.
"Also, Chandu has sent you the guest list on Whatsapp, please check it once so that I can send it to the hotel guy to get it printed." Dev requested and Vedangi opened the guest list.
Scrolling slowly, Vedangi's eyes landed on a familiar name. So Chandni did ultimately invite Disha. Vedangi felt a tinge of disappointment and the worst part was, she had no right to be disappointed. Vedangi herself had suggested on inviting Dhruv and Disha. Then why was her heart falling into bouts of sadness?

"You - you didn't check the list?" Vedangi stammered a little.
"What's the need for me to check it when you're there? I trust you with the work given to you." Dev said playfully, making her all the more guilty.
Vedangi couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive about her suggestion. Is she really going to be responsible for ruining Dev's mood for the whole wedding? But isn't mission 'Devisha' her motive?
Vedangi's eyes widened discreetly at the ship name that emerged through her thoughts. Devisha!? For real?
She was taken by surprise at her own mind. Partially in denial of creating the ship name, Vedangi closed her eyes and pulled the shawl snug to her body.

_____________

At eight in the evening, Vedangi and Dev both got busy with receiving guests and ticking things off of the checklist.
The bride's family arrived first, followed by the groom's family. Dev walked hurriedly to the hotel's lobby typing a text on his phone. He bumped into a feminine figure leading to his phone falling to the floor. Picking it, Dev stood up to see Disha Rajan standing nervously infront of him. He smiled at her much to her surprise.
Before he could say anything, a loud squeal was heard as Chandni ecstatically walked towards Disha and embraced her in a tight hug. Dev watched in amusement as it reflected on him. Two and a half years later, his and Disha's dynamic had changed drastically but Chandni and Disha were still good friends.
"I can't believe you're getting married! Two years already?!" Disha said happily as she broke free from the hug.
"I can't believe I'm getting married too!" Chandni added humorously.

Vedangi watched the whole scene from a distance pretending to be on a call. Her resolve strengthened after Dev smiled at Disha but it also broke her heart all over again.
A minute later, Dhruv walked in with two suitcases and Vedangi called out his name excitedly. She ran to him and he picked her up in the hug. From the onlookers point of view it was completely oblivious that Dhruv harboured feelings for Vedangi, Vedangi and Disha had feelings for Dev and Dev had feelings for Vedangi. Quite a jumbled scenario where none of them was aware of the fact.
Dev watched resentfully at the way Vedangi and Dhruv were touchy and happy. Dhruv is the one for her, isn't he?

"Disha! So good to see you!" Vedangi approached Disha hugging her. Disha was miffed initially but gave into the hug eventually.
"Dhruv talks so much about you that by now the whole office knows that you're his favorite cousin!" Vedangi added.
"What?! Really!? Dhruv had no idea that Chandni and I know each other pehle se! He was baffled when I told him that." Disha chuckled.
"Does that mean I'm here because of you or you're here because of me?" Dhruv joked and everyone except Dev laughed.
"Both of y'all are here for being Chandni's favourites. Disha and she are good friends and you and me are Chandni's personal favourites from the office." Vedangi said as she pointed at Dhruv and then placed her elbow on his shoulder.

Dev silently escaped from the scene and walked to the garden outside the entrance. He heard footsteps approaching but did not turn to see who it was.
"What just happened in there? You smiled at Disha! Am I in a dream?" Vedangi said dramatically.
"Stop being so dramatic. I've let go of all grudges and resentments." Dev said empathetically.
"And thankyou for making it obvious that this was your plan! I'm grateful!" Dev exclaimed with a tinge of sarcasm and humour.
Did Vedangi take it seriously though?
"Kanha Ji ki krupa se janab sudhar gaye." Vedangi taunted him instead.
"Back to the Lucknowi accent phase?" Dev asked jokingly and she chuckled.

"How amazing can you be? You continue to leave me in awe everytime you do something like this." Chandni affectionately appreciated Vedangi.
"Kahi dekhi hai itni alag level ki mohabbat jo tumhare pyaar ke purane pyaar se itne achhe se gale mile?" Chandni added and Vedangi could actually see how mesmerized she was.
"That's just how I am! And you know what? Dev actually smiled at Disha!" She told Chandni.
"How do you do this? I've never seen someone so happy because their current lover smiled at his ex lover." Chandni said mockingly. She wasn't a fan of whatever Vedangi was planning to do though it was for her own brother's sake.
"Oh C'mon, it's not that great plus all of us should go to sleep if we wish to wakeup at the right time for the Haldi." Vedangi dismissed Chandni's praise.

That night Dev, Vedangi and Disha stared at the ceiling in deep thought. Were the coming days going to be joyful or morose?

A/N - next chapter you'll get a glimpse of Disha.