33.

"Amma, how about I go to Allepey two days earlier to look after the arrangements?" Dev suggested as his family and Vedangi sat in the living room. They had gathered to add final names to the invitation cards that were to be sent out.
Chandni looked up and stopped writing on the card.
"But aren't the wedding planners supposed to do that job?" His father asked.
"Yeah but I'm getting bored here in Bangalore, might as well visit Edappal on the way. It's not originally in the wedding plan and once the guests arrive, it would be impossible to slip away for a day." Dev reasoned.
His mother was about to protest but Chandni spoke midway.
"Yeah please go! Atleast you wouldn't eat our heads with the all the cribbing you've been doing."
Chandni looked at Vedangi momentarily before she suggested something that made Vedangi shut her eyes in exasperation.
"Do one thing, take Vedangi with you. Show her around in Edappal and it is always better to have a companion." She added the last part on purpose. Chandni eyed Vedangi with a discreet smirk on her face.
She would do anything to possibly see them as a couple. And maybe he liked Vedangi or maybe it just was her subconscious wishing. Either way, she wanted them to spend maximum time together.

Vedangi looked at everyone in a surprised manner. After that office conversation, she knew how desperate Chandni was to see them as a couple. It was adorable, the way Chandni doted on her but this was unexpected.
"Ask for her opinion kids." Dev's father opined.
"I'm sure she wouldn't mind." Chandni made a sly remark in an attempt to tease Vedangi.
"I'd love to but I've alot of work at the office and have to get it done by this week end." Vedangi made a poor excuse.
"Arey, I also work in the same firm! I'll manage everything, tum dono jao." Chandni persisted.
"Okay then, fine I'll come with you." Vedangi looked at Dev, nodding her head assertively.

"Road trip ya flight?" Dev asked her later through text.
"Rasta." She replied and Dev got the message.

______________

"Road trip doesn't mean you start at twelve in the night da!" Vedangi whined as she loaded her luggage into the car's backseat.
"Bangalore to Malappuram is almost nine hours, you want to go all the way in sunlight or what?" Dev questioned listening to her constant whining about how much of a wee hour journey it was going to be.
"Locked the doors? Shut the windows? Closed the taps? Turned of the gas?" Dev asked with a pause after each question to which she nodded.
"Also got your blouse from the tailor?" He asked remembering she had told him about picking up the blouse from the tailor.
"Oh no fuck!" Vedangi cussed and he hit his palm to his forehead.
"Now what you'll do?!" He reprimanded.
She on the other hand burst out laughing and Dev realized the silly prank she had played on him.
"Get in madam!" He gestured her to enter the car and she laughed while doing so.

"It's three in the night or morning technically. Let's stop for some Chai no?" Vedangi requested Dev who had been driving for three hours. They had crossed a considerable distance due to the lack of traffic.
Clear roads, golden lights, warm jackets and a KK playlist had accompanied them on this journey. From Koi Kahe Kehta Rahe to Dil Kyu Ye Mera Shor Kare, Vedangi and Dev had vibed to every song of every genre KK has sung.
"Look at you, sleeping half of the time and craving for Chai. Shouldn't it be me asking this question?" Dev smiled teasingly simultaneously searching for any sort of food joint.

"Chai, mein aa rahi hu!" Vedangi exclaimed dramatically after their car pulled up outside a makeshift tea stall. Two other people sat on the benches spread out infront of the tea stall. Wafts of Elaichi being added to the piping hot concoction of a tea travelled in the air. Vedangi sniffed the Elaichi, smiling satisfactorily.
"Isn't it slightly cold?" Vedangi asked after a shiver ran down her body.
"Yes it is." Dev agreed as he brought two glasses of steaming tea at their table.