23. seperation

ADELINA'S POV
tomorrow's game was against uruguay, joão had left for practice early in the morning.

i didn't even hear him get ready, i guess i had a good sleep. i got out of bed, changing into a simple outfit before going downstairs to the lobby.

clara was there as well, on her phone. she was sitting down at a food place, i took a deep breath before walking over. "is this seat taken?" i asked, she looked up, her eyes widened slightly when she realized it was me.

she shook her head, turning off her phone. it was awkward like it has been the past few days.

"clara—" i was interrupted by her, "i'm so sorry, adelina! i was such a bad friend for talking about such things even if it was all for a big surprise." she quickly spoke, breaking down.

i didn't know how to feel, i know i had forgiven her and made excuses for her but i felt sick to my stomach as well. she did all of it for the sake of me having a good party but i would be lying if i said i didn't begin to have trust issues.

"i feel messed up about all of this, clara. i want to forgive you.. i can't help but feel like i can't trust you anymore." i spoke, each word breaking my heart.

"what do you mean?" she asked, confused.

"i don't know what i mean." i chuckled, just as confused. i held back tears as she looked at me with worried eyes.

"i can't be friends with you if you don't take my problems seriously and use them for some party." i spoke again, trying my hardest to not look her in the eyes.

"don't do this, adelina. you're being dramatic!" she scoffed, standing up.

"dramatic!? a girl that i had only known for a week had more feelings than you ever did! all you ever do is talk about YOU, you never once asked me if i was okay. you used the fact i was heartbroken and abused by carlos for your silly jokes!" i couldn't believe her right now.

"i don't recognize you anymore." i muttered, looking her up and down before walking away.

i broke into tears as i left her behind. i didn't know where i was going, i didn't know why i was crying.

all my fucking life, i have been clara's shadow. she always forced me to do such things, i felt so pressured but never wanted her to think i was lame.

even through all of this, i still thought she was going to be my best friend forever. i had a whole future for us, having kids around the same time, becoming old and still talking about drama.

i couldn't believe i had lost her by telling her my biggest secret, now she knew it.

if she could say it out loud for a couple of laughs, what else could she do?

i didn't want to call joão and distract him while he's practicing. speaking of joão, i saw his bus park in front of the lobby as i walked out of it.

i couldn't even notice because of the amount of tears that were falling out of my face, i was so overwhelmed with emotion.

i heard joão call out my name as he ran after me. "adelina, wait!" he put his hand on my shoulder as he caught up to me.

i turned around to see him, trying to breathe. he looked worried, confused. i wrapped my arms around him before sobbing into his arms.

"what happened?" he asked softly. "clara—" i struggled to speak. he pulled away from the hug, wiping my tears.

"breathe, adelina." he spoke quietly as he walked me back to the lobby. i tried to catch my breath, walking over to the elevator with him.