18. dinner

ADELINA'S POV
joão sat down next to me instead of going over to his teammates and talking to them. "what's up, adelina? tell me." he said, softly as he took my hand in his.

i didn't want to have such an important conversation with him here, at an already important dinner. he should be focusing instead of thinking about our relationship.

"i'll tell you later." i said, with a smile. he nodded, letting it go for now as he kissed my forehead.

"what do you want to order?" he asked, picking up the menu in front of him. "joão, we are the only ones sitting down.. go talk to your friends."

"so what? you're my friend. they can eat later, let's see what they got." he said before opening up the menu and putting it in between us.

everyone began to sat down and order their dishes as joão and i scanned the menu and tried to pick a meal for the both of us to eat.

we weren't hungry since we had both eaten before our little nap.

my phone rang causing me to turn my focus onto it. "pick whatever, i'm fine with anything." i said to joão before taking my phone out and walking away.

it was a call from my dad, i smiled before answering it. "hey, dad!" i spoke, excitedly. i missed his voice, i was glad he was calling.

i could barely hear anything he was hearing considering it was still loud, i walked outside of the lobby to hear him better.

"do you hear me?" he asked. "yes, what's up?" i was getting scared, he wasn't ever this serious.

"before i say anything, i want to say none of this is your fault." he spoke, making me even more nervous.

"your mom and i tried our best to keep a good and stable relationship between work and family but it has been a failure for the past few years, we have been thinking about this for a while and decided it's best to do it once you're older."

"thinking about what, dad?" i said, trying to hold back the fact i had shaky voice. i knew where there was going but i had a little hope it was a big joke.

"divorce." that word alone made me feel like my world has just turned upside down. i couldn't even react, i felt myself getting choked up.

i couldn't breathe, i fell down to the floor, beginning to cry. i hung up the phone, breaking down and trying to breathe correctly.

the door opened up revealing a worried joão. "adelina— what's going on?" he said, kneeling down and holding my hand.

i couldn't even explain anything, i just kept crying uncontrollably. "it's okay, it's okay." he said, wrapping his arms around me.

i hugged him back, crying into his arms. he kissed my forehead, moving a strand of hair behind my ear. "what happened?" he asked, more calmly.

"my parents— they are getting a divorce." i spoke, softly in between breaths. i saw his face drop as he hugged me again.

"i'm so sorry, adelina." he apologized with a comforting voice. "it's okay." i said, knowing it wasn't okay.

what the hell do people say when someone apologizes??

i cried in his arms for a couple more minutes, he held me tightly the entire time. i didn't want him to miss his important meeting but it seems he didn't even care about it.

maybe, i was good enough. at the end of the night, he was the one here for me. "thank you, joão." i spoke, softly.

"don't thank me." he said back, chuckling lightly to brighten up the mood. i wanted to say something else but couldn't tonight.