Chapter 18: "Motel Fever"

After my shift ended, I immediately hopped in my car to pick up Castiel from the motel. I despise traffic. If only I could live in a quiet village, far from the bustling city, with just around 100 people. It would bring me so much peace of mind, away from the chaotic roads and the constant noise. Most importantly, it would provide me solace from excessive socializing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate people. It's just that most interactions tend to drain me mentally. It feels like my social battery gets depleted too quickly. I can't tell if it's because my demanding job has burnt me out or if there's something broken inside me.

Ever since God supposedly created us in his own image, it seems like everyone else has been trying to do the same. The tricky part is, when you gaze into the mirror of others, it's hard to distinguish your true self from the reflection. Our actions define us, but when we spend most of our lives conforming to others' expectations, who are we really?

Ironically, I used to be a non-believer in God, but now thoughts about it consume my mind. Life has a funny way of keeping me grounded, or should I say, rooted in the ground? Everything can change in the blink of an eye.

So, who am I? Am I a skilled surgeon? A caring brother? A loyal friend? Or am I just a lonely soul, dissatisfied with my own existence, living only to serve others? Yet, as they say, "Good people are like candles; they burn themselves up to give others light." So, perhaps my existence isn't entirely in vain after all.

Unfortunately, my mind never stops racing. It's always a jumbled mess, never finding any real peace. When I'm not occupied with thoughts about my patients, my mind starts wandering into deep thoughts about life, pondering its meaning, and before I know it, my thoughts become a jumble of randomness.

As I drove, slightly surpassing the speed limit, the breeze flowing through the open windows relieved the built-up pressure from the entire day. However, the anticipation of seeing Castiel also made me slightly nervous.

Once I arrived at the motel, I approached the lobby and inquired about Castiel's room. It turned out to be Room 7, which felt poetic in a way. Seven, reminiscent of the seven days of creation in the world. It seemed fitting for an angel, even though I highly doubted it was chosen intentionally.

I anxiously knocked on his door, as if I were intruding on his privacy or bothering him.

"Joe? What brings you here? Where are Dean and Sam?" Castiel's expression shifted to surprise and disappointment when he opened the door. It was clear that I wasn't the person he had been expecting.

He had ditched his trench coat for the first time, allowing me to get a better look at his physique, which was quite impressive. Dressed in a simple white shirt and black pants, he had this effortless charm about him. His casual getup and relaxed "just chilling at home" vibe, with his hair all messy, made him look incredibly attractive and downright adorable. There's something about men in more casual appearance that really gets me.

"Um... Did they not inform you?" I nervously scratched my head.

"I haven't seen them in hours. Can you elaborate? What's going on?" Castiel's gaze narrowed, and his concern was evident.

"Dean called me. He said they're having some trouble with the police and need to lay low for a while. They asked me to come and pick you up from this motel. Dean mentioned that he'd feel more at ease if you stayed with me for a few days..." I gasped as the words escaped my mouth. It felt a bit embarrassing to invite him to stay with me, even though it was merely a favor for Dean and not my own idea.

He nodded in understanding. "I see. Did Dean happen to mention how long they'll be gone or when they'll get in touch with me again?" He remained remarkably calm, as if worry had evaporated from his mind. I couldn't help but wonder if it was just second nature to him. Did they have to lay low from time to time given their line of "business"? He certainly wasn't caught off guard.