Chapter 9: "Amuletum Occulationis"

We left the hospital, cruising in Dean's sleek black Impala, a 1967 Chevy. I couldn't help but reminisce about this car. How could I forget? Memories flooded back from our teenage years, when Dean used to steal it from his strict dad. If his father ever found out, it would have caused a major problem and brought severe punishment. But Dean was always the brave one in our group of friends.

Late at night, Dean would take the car out to impress girls at bars. He had an undeniable love for that old car, proud of it despite its age. It always gleamed, as if it were brand new.

We drove for hours, with the radio playing in the background the entire time. Dean had a particular taste in music, favoring bands like Metallica, AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and, of course, Kansas. I must admit, I found his music choices quite appealing, so I never complained. It was refreshing to hear something that sparked excitement. I was used to listening to melancholic tunes that dragged me further down into a pit of despair.

Seizing the opportunity, I decided to ask Dean more questions, and we agreed that he would have his turn as well. I took the first round.

"So, Dean, what does it mean to be a hunter? How is your life now? And what do you do for a living?"

A smile graced Dean's face, though I couldn't tell if it was genuine or if I had touched a nerve. "Well, you know, we hunt demons, ghosts, and monsters. Yes, they all exist, so no need to start questioning everything again. Soon enough, you'll have your proof."

"And do you get paid for hunting those things?" I asked, genuinely wanting to understand his life, not just satisfy my curiosity. I cared deeply.

"You know, we don't get paid in money, but our work is important. We help so many people. I'm sure you can understand, right? We're constantly on the road, finding ways to get by. We're not proud of it, but the ends justify the means. We often resort to card fraud or winning bets against intoxicated folks at bars. Pool matches and such. I hope that answers your question, and I hope you won't judge us for our life choices. We never had the luxury of a normal life, you know? After our mother died at the hands of a demon, our father nearly lost his sanity. His sole purpose became hunting and seeking revenge on as many monsters as possible. We were practically raised to follow in his footsteps... Sam tried to escape it all, going to college and law school. He genuinely wanted a normal life, but the things we know always find a way to haunt us. So, he had to come back to the 'family business' and abandon his dreams," Dean replied, his usual smirk and sarcastic comments absent this time. He was deadly serious. Whenever Dean dropped his facade, you knew whatever he said held deep significance.

"No, Dean, I will never judge you. You mean a lot to me, and honestly, all I want is to understand. It seems like you've had a rough life. When I went to college, I had the chance to create my own path from then on... I guess I was lucky. You should have tried to stay in touch more. You could have always reached out to me. I had no idea your life was so difficult. You shouldn't distance yourself from people who care about you," I said, trying to empathize as best I could. I genuinely cared.

"You're right, sometimes all you need is a good chat with a friend who listens and never complains, even when you call them after months or years. But how could I ever share all this? I mean, I'm sure you thought we were crazy. And honestly, we were afraid of losing your friendship. It's also nice to have a friend who makes you feel like your life is normal, even if it's just for a few hours. We needed a break from our world, and when we were with you, we could achieve that. Well, at least I had Sammy, you know..." His response made perfect sense to me. He was right; it was all too much to handle. And I did think those supernatural things were crazy. If I didn't respect them so much, I would have never gotten in this car to begin with. I would have just suggested they see a psychiatrist.