•A woman in Whales.

XL. A woman in Whales.

The week Tommy slowly started getting back into business again, was the same week Maude decided she was fed up with laying around in bed all day. She was permitted to have a walk every day but Tommy insisted he walk with her, keeping a watchful eye on her and helping her around. Walks with Tommy were also just around the upper floor, as he forbid her from the stairs until her stitches were out.

Usually, when working, he still managed to keep an eye on her as most things were handled from the comfort of their bedroom. But on a Monday morning when Tommy held family meetings in his office at home, Maude decided to make a break for her freedom.

She slowly climbed down the stairs, hand pressed to her stomach. She waddled through the house until she found her brothers, Ada and Michael sitting around in the living room near the fireplace. Henry was the first to spot her, and his eyebrows furrowed. "Oi, why are you up?" He asked her and everyone's attention turned to her.

"Need to stretch my legs, doctor's orders." She informed them as Daniel rushed to her side, taking one of her arms and helping her walk toward the rest on the other side of the room.

"Should have called one of us to help you." Ada insisted as she looked at Maude with furrowed eyebrows, her arms crossing over her chest.

"Oh don't worry, I managed," Maude said as she dismissively waved off all their concerns with a smile.

"Here, sit down." Daniel insisted as Michael offered her his seat closest to the fireplace. Daniel carefully helped his sister sit on the chair before stepping away, crossing his arms over his chest." Tommy will blow a fuse if he sees you on your feet." He informed her and she hummed knowingly.

Polly stepped into the room, her gaze immediately setting on Maude. "Why are you out of bed?" She asked as her eyebrows furrowed before her gaze turned to Henry and Daniel. "Why is she out of bed?" She asked them as she pointed her hand in Maude's direction.

"Did you forget she's a stubborn one, Pol?"Henry asked as he raised his eyebrows at Poll, a lopsided smirk tugging at his lips.

Polly quirked an eyebrow at him as she rested one hand on her hip. "Much like you." She muttered as she pursed her lips, wiping Henry's smirk from his face as he huffed.

"Look who it is," John called out with a big smile as he and Arthur stepped into the room, their attention on Maude who smiled softly back at them. "How you feeling, ey?"John asked as he rested a hand on top of Maude's head.

"A lot better now that I'm back home." She replied as she pushed his hand off, giving him a pointed look when he chuckled with a teasing look.

"You look better," Arthur told her as he reached out and patted her shoulder, nodding his head as he softly smiled down at her. He turned to the rest of the family. "Right, let's go." He said as he nodded his head towards Tommy's office.

Polly nervously looked at Michael before turning towards the Shelby and Felton brothers. "Uh, we've already seen him." She informed them as her gaze turned towards Ada.

The air between everyone immediately grew tense, as family meetings meant everyone was seen at the same time, not in groups. Ada looked between the brothers as she pursed her lips. "He wanted to see people in a particular order." She explained as she shrugged her shoulders.

"I can normally read him, but he's difficult to read, so be careful," Polly informed the four men as she fiddled with her hands, sighing deeply.

"I thought it was a fucking family meeting." John snapped as his eyebrows furrowed, looking between everyone who stood around. "All of us together, I thought." He insisted as a huff slipped from his lips.