•Dead man's heart.

XIV. Dead man's heart.

⚠18+!!!!!Smutish scene and mature language at the end!!!⚠

After Daniel talked with Maude that morning, Henry decided to make one final attempt at getting his sister to eat or drink something. He started off small, bringing her a cup of tea while she sat in bed. She watched him as he slowly pushed her bedroom door open, eyeing her cautiously as he entered her room, setting the cup down on her nightstand.

Maude eyed the cup before turning to her brother with a quirked eyebrow. "Since when do I get tea in bed?" She asked softly, the smallest hint of teasing in her voice.

"Thought you'd need it," Henry said, resting his hands on his hips as he stared down at her. "I know something bad happened." He muttered softly, eyebrows furrowing as his gaze fell down to the ground. "You don't have to tell me, but I want you to know I'm here for you, Maude." He said softly before reaching down and giving her shoulder a gentle squeeze. "I'll always be here for you."

Maude stared up at him with furrowed eyebrows, her lips pulled into a deep frown. "If I tell you, you can't get angry." She pleaded as she shook her head at him. "You can't do anything." She added.

"What happened?" He asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed, turning his body to face her.

"Promise me." She demanded as she stared at her brother with pleading eyes.

"I promise." He replied with a soft sigh, knowing he'd regret making that promise because his sister only ever made him do it when she knew he'd get angry at someone. He grabbed onto her hand, giving it a soft squeeze. "Please tell me, I'm getting sick with worry." He begged her.

Maude went silent for a second as she stared at her brother, eyebrows deeply furrowed, picking at her nails, and fresh tears pooling in her eyes. She took a deep and shaky breath before speaking. "I shot someone the other night." She informed him softly.

Henry's breath hitched, his heart dropping to the pit of his stomach as he stared at her with wide eyes.

"What?" He asked softly, eyebrows knitting together as he shook his head in confusion.

"I was with Tommy in the Garrison, for a meeting with two Irish men." She explained vaguely, knowing her older brother was a lot more attentive to details than her younger brother. "They tried to kill Tommy, and I shot one of them." She added softly as his gaze flicked down to her lap.

Henry was silent for a second, gaze flicking around as he processed every word his sister had just said. He looked at her, eyebrows deeply furrowed and eyes filled with concern. "Maude..." He whispered, his mouth falling shut as he struggled to find the right words to say to her.

"I can't tell you everything, but I want you to know, I did what I had to." She told him as her gaze flicked up to meet his again. Henry silently stared at her, slowly shaking his head as he was filled with concern and worry. "I'm alright, Henry." She assured him as she leaned over and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "I'm alright." She whispered as his arms wrapped around her, hugging her protectively against his body.

It was only the following day, Monday afternoon, that Maude came out of her bedroom while her brothers were at work. She was sitting in the living room, drinking a cup of piping hot tea as she stared blankly at the fireplace, watching the flames.

A knock pulled her attention away from the flames. She put down her tea and went to open the door, eyebrows furrowing as Tommy rushed into her home. "I'm gonna have to lie low for a while." He informed her.