Chapter 16

"Are you gonna go on a date tonight?" Juhyeok asked.

They were on their way to school, and Taehyun was in no rush, as he had been given the morning off, surprisingly.

"No," he replied.

"Oh okay."

"You've been asking that a lot the past few days, Juju."

"Well..."

Juhyeok fiddled with his fingers.

"You haven't asked Uncle Gyu or Uncle Kai to watch me at night ever since Mr Choi came over."

"That's because I haven't had anyone ask me for a date."

"Really?"

"Mhm."

"Are you bummed?"

"Not really. Now, what song do you wanna hear?"

Juhyeok selected the song, and Taehyun played it, letting the loud music distract both of them.

Two weeks had passed.

And during this whole time, Taehyun has not gone out on a single date with someone since his dinner with Soobin.

He had rejected all of them.

His brain wanted him to reply with 'sure, what time?' but Taehyun's heart moved faster and politely turned them down.

And oblivious as always, Taehyun had no idea why he was doing this.

At the same time, he hasn't heard from Soobin. Not that he made the effort to contact him either, but still, he kinda wondered why.

Maybe he also needs some space? I know I do, after dumping my whole miserable backstory onto him.

"Want me to walk you?" he asked after parking a little further away from the school.

Juhyeok stopped unbuckling his seatbelt, looking at Taehyun with a surprised face.

"What?"

"Should I walk with you to the school?"

"Umm... okay."

Taehyun placed his hand on his son's shoulder.

"Look Juju, I know I haven't been the best to you recently, but... I'm trying to improve. I really wanna be your dad more often."

His words were sincere.

And Juhyeok felt it, because he patted his hand.

"Okay Dad, let's go!"

Taehyun smiled and unbuckled his seatbelt too, getting out of the car. He took Juhyeok by the hand and then they walked towards the building.

"What do you think you'll do today?" Taehyun asked.

"Hmm... ooo, in art class we're gonna try oil painting!"

"Really?"

Juhyeok nodded.

"Yes! Mrs Lim even promised to buy canvases for us!"

"That sounds nice."

"Juhyeok!"

His face brightened up.

"Yerim!"

Yerim ran towards Juhyeok, who also ran to her, giving each other a big hug in the middle of the sidewalk.

Taehyun spotted Taeyeon nearby, who waved at him. He waved back, before Juhyeok came back to him, hugging his waist.

"I love you Dad, have a great day at work!" he grinned.