Prologue

Warning ⚠️: Mentions of Blood and Death
🎶: 'Too Good' by Troye Sivan

"AHHHHHHH... AHHHHH... AHHHH..."

"It's okay Mihye, just hang on a little longer!" Taehyun exclaimed, squeezing his girlfriend's hand tightly.

Mihye continued screaming, tears of pain soaking her face.

"Push! You gotta push!!" the nurse urged.

"I... I'm trying— AHHHH!!!!"

Taehyun bent down to tenderly kiss Mihye's sweat slicked forehead, knowing it'll calm her down.

"Shhh, it's okay..."

"AHHH!!"

"I'm here, my love, I'm here..."

"I can already see the head, just give it one more push!"

Mihye did as she was asked, and gasped out loud when a baby's first scream wailed through the labor room.

Taehyun sank on the chair nearby, sighing in relief and running his hand through his damp brown hair.

"You made it..."

The maternal doctor, who had been aiding them through the labor, wrapped the little infant in a white towel, and carefully handed the blanket-bundle over to Taehyun.

"It's a boy," he smiled.

Small tears of happiness began to escape Taehyun's eyes as he cradled his tiny newborn son in his arms.

He couldn't believe that his and Mihye's child had finally been born, and the baby seemed so healthy and lively.

So adorable too.

And it was his child.

Their child.

Seeing his own son in his arms was like... a miracle, a dream come true.

After he and Mihye had struggled so much to stabilize their life as young 17-year-olds on the run from their previous lives, the reward for going through all of that was their own child.

They were aware of how young, and perhaps unprepared they were for parenting. After all, neither of them had even completed high school.

Yet they knew: as long as they have each other, everything will be fine.

They always have been.

We're starting a new chapter, a new journey, of our lives together, my love, Taehyun thought as he gazed at his infant baby.

He felt no greater joy than this moment.

"Doctor, the monitor!!"

The nurse's shocked gasp snapped Taehyun out of his daydream daze. His eyes instantly darted towards the heart monitor next to Mihye, and then, he froze.

Completely.

The green line was drawing out.

And then, his vision fell towards the bed, the sheets completely soaked in blood... just like his girlfriend's nightgown.

"Doc..."

Each following second flashed by so quickly, it felt more like a blur.

Taehyun could barely grasp what was happening, practically didn't feel his son being taken away from his arms, the doctors frantically yelling orders and instructions towards the nurses, and soon enough found himself being escorted out of the room, the door being slammed in front of his face.