ON | 1

Solai

Solai

Houston, TX
2019

"Girl! I don't know how you do it? You don't be tired?"

I laughed lightly to myself at my sister's dramatics as I stroked the piece of wood with my paint brush, that was coated in space gray acrylic paint. After one last stroke, I dropped the paint brush in the cup of water and finally looked up at my sister who was already staring at me. Removing my glass from my face, I rubbed my eyes and loosened the bun that I had sitting at the top of my head because the tension had my head hurting.

"To answer your question, yes I be tired." I stood up from my work bench and stretched my limbs. I pulled my shorts down and shuffled down the hall—into the kitchen with my little sister following behind me. I opened the fridge and grabbed two core waters along with last night's leftovers.

"I really don't see how you do it. You're a doctor with two side businesses and another one on the way? I really applaud you cause that's a lot but I think you need to slow down." Sunny spoke aloud as she opened her water watching me with her eyes.

"Having my own practice has it perks. I can go in when I want. See who I want to see and so on. I also have a team so I don't necessarily do everything on my own." I removed the tops from the bowls and placed them into the microwave one by one until everything was heated up.

"That's true, but you're at your office everyday performing procedures when you know you don't have to. Then when you come home you jump straight to your home decor business. I really wish you would just take a break from everything before you crash and burn."

I shook my head as I assembled the chicken fajita bowls. If only my sister knew that it's deeper than the surface. I can admit I take on a lot, but it's a distraction that I need. Working keeps me away from my thoughts. I'm happy with life and what I have, but I know I'm missing something.

"Hey?"

I looked up once I heard Sunny's soft voice.

"I know why you work a lot. I miss them too. Samir misses them too. You were not the only ones that lost them that day, we all did. We miss you. I just want you to slow down before we lose you too. Go out. Live. Have fun. Don't stop living your life because you took us in."

I wiped my face and shook my head because I hate crying. My tear ducts are the enemy right now. I walked around the counter and pulled my sister into a big hug. We stayed in this position for about five minutes before I pulled apart. I wiped her face because she was crying too. "Go upstairs and get Samir so we can eat."