Chapter 34

One morning, searching through my closet for something to wear, I found a note at the bottom of a drawer.

   It said: “Believe in yourself, you will achieve what your father and I failed to achieve. Be yourself, at the right time you will know what to do."

  What did she mean by that? Melina never told me about any secret plan of theirs. And if I don't know their plan, how do I know I do the right thing? I was very confused.

  I hid it in the same place I found it because I didn't want to throw it away. However, it was something valuable for me and I wanted to keep it as a memory from my mother.

  Going over this, I decided it's time to try and get my soul mate back. If I’m going to accomplish something great, I'm going to need him.

  Together we're much stronger and if we succeed, there is no other person with whom I want to celebrate.

  I went into the great hall ready to start my day strong with a coffee. I wasn't too surprised to see Caleb and his girlfriend on a couch.

  I turned on the coffee machine, and while it was brewing, I took the armchair from the window and placed it next to the couch where the two of them were sitting.

  As I was doing this I said to them:

  -I hope you don't mind, I'd like some company.

  Saying this I gave them a big, fake smile. I wasn't even waiting for their response, I was basically the fifth wheel on the wagon, but I was okay with that.

  I wanted to spend time with Caleb but he was always with his girlfriend so this was the only way.

   I got my coffee and went back to them.

   It was a very strange moment: I was looking at them and smiling, and I was not making a sound. At the moment it didn't seem weird, I just wanted her to go to the bathroom or something so I could hug Caleb.

  He was looking at me out of the corner of his eye. At the same time he told his girlfriend that he would also like a coffee, and she left.

  The second she was out the door, Caleb rushed at me.

  -Who are you? I mean, I know who you are, but why do I have these weird feelings for you?

  At that moment I can say that my heart was bursting with joy. I was sure he still had feelings for me, because you can't separate two soul mates.

  -Do you really want to know? I asked him with a silly smile on my face. Then come with me!

  I took his hand and we both stood up, heading towards my room. He let himself be led by me, a sign that he really wanted to unravel this mystery.

  When I got to my room I went straight to the wardrobe, where I took out his jacket.

  -Do you remember this? I asked him, handing him his jacket.

  - This is my jacket. But how did it get to you? he asked me, surprised.

  -Did your memories disappear along with your feelings?

  - Some of them, yes. Doesn’t matter how much I try, I can't remember anything except that my friend Caty brought you here one day.

  -You left this jacket here the night we made love for the first time. We loved each other very much, we are soul mates.

  -Why would I believe you? I don't remember anything, you can say anything.

  -You don't have to believe me. Just listen to what your heart tells you.

  At that moment his girlfriend came through the door, visibly irritated that her boyfriend was in another girl's room.

  -What is going on here? I came back with the coffee and you disappeared.

  - Nothing, said Caleb. I lost my jacket and she found it and returned it to me. Let's go.

  With that last sentence he took her hand and they walked away, and he didn't even look back.

  I stayed in the room looking at the door, thinking what else I could do. I did everything I could. I reminded him of everything that was between us and as far as I could see, he had feelings for me.

  I had to leave him alone, give him time to think. I spent the rest of the day in my room watching movies and stuffing myself with chips and popcorn. I didn't feel like doing anything else, not even leaving the room.

  I didn't even realize when the time had passed, but when I looked at the clock it was already twelve o'clock at night.

  Suddenly I heard the door open and I panicked. I wasn’t expecting guests at such a late hour of the night.

  I saw Caleb behind the door and I thought I was dreaming. What could he be doing in my room at that hour?

  He sat next to me in bed and asked me if we could talk. I nodded and he did something I didn't expect: he put his head on my stomach.

  - Wait, maybe your girlfriend will come and see us, I said, trying to push him aside.

  - She's sleeping, don't worry, but I can’t sleep. After everything you told me today, I can't even hug her anymore. I do not know what you've done to me.

  - I didn't do anything to you, that's destiny.

  -Can I tell you something honestly? he asked me, looking up, and I nodded my head. I couldn't even do my boyfriend duty with her anymore. When I touched her, your image came to my mind. She is a beautiful girl, she attracts me, I have nothing bad to say about it, but I can't get close to her anymore and I don't know why.

  -I think your feelings for me have returned. You know, that woman who brought you back was my mother, I think you already found out. She told me that when two soul mates meet, they are stronger than ever.

  At that moment he hugged me so tightly that I was out of breath.

  -I think there is only one thing left to do... he said, and I already knew what he was talking about.

  I sent him to his room because if he slept with me and his girlfriend saw us, there would be a huge show. I advised him to talk to her the next day and explain the situation.

  The next day I went to my usual coffee place and lost myself in thought.

  Suddenly, I woke up to reality and saw that girl was on the couch in front of me, next to Caleb.

  -Caleb told me about the situation, she said. I'm really sorry, I didn't know. You should have told me.

  -I thought about saying it, but I thought you would misunderstand.

  -I apologize. I'm going to retire now, I already feel really bad.

  - Don’t worry, it's okay! I said, smiling. Looks like we're all going to be here for a long time so we don't have to hate each other.

  - I want you to know that I'm ready to get even. So if you ever need me and I can help you, you can count on me.

  The next few days we didn't even know how to behave with each other, so I proposed to take it slow and do what we feel.

  And so our relationship improved, we loved each other more and more, we felt comfortable with each other, we were happy.