Chapter 23

Three months had passed, during which the two tried to get me to recover, but with no results, so they gave up as well.

  They agreed that the only person who can get me back on my feet is Caleb, and since he's no longer here, no one else can.

  During all this time I had not spoken to anyone, I had not eaten, I had not slept.

   I was eating only very little enough to survive and as for sleep, I was always dreaming of Caleb calling out to me and begging me to help him, and it kept me awake.

   I thought all these nightmares were just in my mind, due to the shock I went through, but it still hurt so much.

   I knew him for almost a year but it was as if he lived in my soul all my life. That's exactly why I couldn't imagine a life without him.

  As if, with his departure, he took a part of me with him and deep down inside I knew I will never see him again.

  From time to time I would take his jacket and put it on me, just to smell his perfume, to feel him holding me once more.

  It didn't help much because he wasn't physically there, but it eased, even a little, the longing for him burning in my heart.

  I think the two girls had forgotten, or just didn't want to tell me, but I knew that March 17th was his birthday.

  A crazy idea came to my mind that day and I didn't hesitate to implement it: I collected all my thoughts and put them on paper.

  I told him how much I miss him, how much I want him to be with me again, I even told him about my failed attempts to get to him.

   I didn't want him to think I didn't try to do anything to get us back together.

   And at the end I told him how much I love him and how much I wish I could look him in the eyes and wish him "Happy Birthday!".

   I sealed the letter with an involuntary tear, the last one I would shed for a while, because my eyes were dry from all the tears I shed in the last three months.

  When Karina came to my room to bring me food, I spoke to her for the first time after that tragic event:

  -Do you think you can do me a favor? I asked her.

  -Sure, anything to see you a little better, she said.

  Then I handed her the folded letter.

  -Do you think you can ask a demon to take this to Caleb? Today is his birthday and I would be very happy to let him know that I have not forgotten him.

  -I'll try, but you know demons are not trustworthy. I can't guarantee it will get to him, but I can try.

  -As far as I remember, you had the power to control them, didn't you?

  -Yes, I do, but I can only control them while they are on Earth. When they get to their kingdom I don't know what they will do.

  -I will risk it.

  With that, Karina took the letter and left. I really wanted that letter to reach him.

  With a simple piece of paper I couldn't help him escape from there so I saw no reason why the demon wouldn't give it to him.

  Another three months have passed. There was no progress, my condition was the same.

  I wasn't crying anymore, I still didn't have tears, but I had seriously started drinking.

  The first night after I sent Caleb's letter, I drank so much that my brain went numb.

  I stopped judging, I stopped thinking, I sat on the top of the bed and looked at the wall in front of me.