Chapter 20

A few hours later, around ten in the morning, I woke up, got dressed and went to get coffee.

  When I passed through the great hall, I started laughing seeing those who remained at the party last night lying on the floor, each one falling asleep where he could.

  I thought it would be nice of me to help them, to take them to their rooms, to their comfortable beds.

   I turned into the demonic creature so I could have more strength and began to gently carry them, one by one, to their rooms.

   There were three boys and the two girls who had helped us cook. After making sure they were sleeping as comfortably as possible, I thought about cleaning up after drinking my coffee. I was still tired, and without coffee I was a zombie.

  I went to Caleb's office where he kept his laptop, with the intention of reading the news, to see what else was going on in the world.

   Ever since I got there I was disconnected from the outside world and it wasn't easy to live like that.

   I went to a local news site and saw a story about my adoptive parents.

  It seems that the police had managed to catch a serial killer that they had been looking for for a long time.

   He didn't even recognize the crimes for which he was being prosecuted, therefore they also charged him with the murder of the two people who raised me.

  To top it off, the fake description I gave the cops matched the description of this criminal.

  As I was reading that news, Caleb also appeared next to me. I also showed him what I was reading and he was glad that I got out of trouble.

  -Hey, we should probably start cleaning too, right? he said.

  - Let me finish my coffee, I told him, in a warm tone. And in the end, we can wait until one of our wizards wakes up and get everything done.

  -Yes, I think you are right. Oh look who came!

  At that very moment, Karina had arrived, her hair tousled and visibly tired. I wished her "Good morning!" and she answered me the same, only in a sleepy tone.

  -Didn't you sleep well? I asked her. I saw you left early last night.

  -Eh, I left, but I couldn’t sleep much.

  Caleb sensed a discussion between the girls was coming so he excused himself, saying he had some work to do.

  After he left, I was dying to know the details, so I didn't hesitate a moment:

  -What happened?

  -You know Alex, our fellow vampire, right?

  -Of course! What about him?

  - Well, for a few days he kept flirting wih me. I like him, he's good looking, he's funny, he's romantic, but I wouldn't have ever seen myself in a relationship with him. Last night, dizzy from the alcohol, I pulled him by his gray plaid shirt and carried him to my room. All I can tell you is that he is a good boy in everyday life, but in bed he breaks all barriers. And to my surprise, we actually got along great.
  The thing is, I don't want a relationship with him, I took last night's incident as fun, but I think he is in love with me. I don't want him to think I'm giving him hope, but I don't regret what happened last night either.

  - Well, I think you should talk to him. Tell him your intentions before his feelings run deeper.

  -Yeah, I think you are right. I'll talk to him right now before we go on the mission.

  - Wait, are we leaving today?

  -Yes, but in the afternoon, so we can wake up from our hangovers and clear our minds.

  Caleb also returned after a while. He knew we had a girly talk, he just expected it to last longer.

  Immediately after him, Caty also appeared, and we were again in full form.

  We talked while the other two girls also drank their coffee, we talked about how much fun we had the night before, and I was very glad that my idea relaxed them a little.

  For one evening, they had all forgotten about the problems of this world and were completely human, again.

  When all the fun was over, Karina urged us to get off the couch and get down to business, because we couldn't waste any more time.

  She quickly cast a spell that arranged the entire building, making it look flawless. "How good it is to have magical powers!", I thought, as I watched her make certain gestures with her firm hands.

  Before we go Karina kept making a joke and told us not to take thick clothes because it will be very hot where we are going.

  We all laughed and went to get ready, each in his room. Caleb took the gem that belonged to the basilisk and we all joined Karina in teleporting.

  When we got to our creature, its keeper looked fine, with no sign of a fight. We thought this was a good thing but Karina, who knew demons better than anyone, found this very strange.

  Anyway, the creature was untouched, in its place, so I didn't think too much of it and moved on.

  Caleb looked a little concerned, so we stopped to ask him what was going on, and he turned to Caty:

  -Don’t get me wrong, but I think you'd better stay away now. I don't even want to think what could happen to an angel in hell.

  - It's okay, I understand perfectly. Go, and I'll wait for you right here.

  Then Caleb whispered something in her ear. I didn't know what it was about, but it was obvious that she didn't really agree with it.

  But she didn't say anything because she probably thought that he was right and it was the best thing she could do.

  The three of us left with the creature without solving this mystery, me thinking that after the mission I would have time to find out what it was all about, but what I didn't know was that I would find out very soon and I wouldn't like it at all.