1 - New Place

Jane's POV

A repeatable beep woke me up, but it could've been the aching in my body too. I felt something soft under me. Am I in heaven? I wondered.

Slowly my eyes opened, but I couldn't see anything special yet. After my eyes got used to a bright light, the beeping started to bother me.

With all the energy I had, I turned my neck. There was a heart monitor next to me. On the black screen was a red line with dozens of small numbers and letters under it.

Was it my heartbeat? Where was I and what happened?

"I see you're awake." A sudden voice made me flinch.

"No, I'm asleep," I responded, my voice hoarser than I expected it to be. The words sounded so familiar in my ears, but I couldn't remember from what.

"Jane, am I right?" The voice asked. My eyes twitched everywhere, but I couldn't find anyone and was too tired to sit up straight.

"How do you know my name?" I started whispering to make my voice sound less weak.

"A friend of yours told me." They replied. By now I realized it was a man because of the deep voice.

My friends. Friends, friends, friends... I tried to remember, but my mind was blank.

"You don't remember anything, do you?" He read my thoughts. "I guess I'll have to explain."

And so he did. Soon all the memories made their way make to me again, tears forming in my eyes. Chuck was dead and so were some others like Gally, I got shot, and Minho and Newt were with the others. The only positive thought I had was that they were safe, hopefully.

"Are you an angel?" I blurted out.

He laughed out loud. "You have some fantasies."

"Where am I?"

"In a safe place." He responded.

"And who are you?"

Guess I'm taking over Thomas' habits now.

"You're teacher, captain, professor.. whatever you want to call it." I heard a button get tapped and suddenly my bed started to move up.

"And your name?" I asked when I met the man's eyes. His dark blonde, a bit greasy hair was long, his eyebrows furrowed, and very short beard also blonde, mixed with some grey.

"Davian Crassus, but you should call me just Crassus." He decided as he walked over to a table. "So you have no idea where your other friends are?" He poured some brown liquid into a small glass and started drinking. It was alcohol, I realized.

"Other friends? Are any of them here?" My breathing hitched.

"Mhm." The man swallowed his drink and held up his finger before he spoke again. "Just one. Gally."

The beeping on the monitor went ten times faster than before, meaning my heart rate went up.
"Gally? He's not my friend. How is he alive? He died?"

"You died too," Crassus commented. "Until we saved you and brought you here."

Then I did break my promise to Chuck. My eyes got watery again, but I hid it from Crassus.

"Where are Newt and Minho?" I questioned, worry growing in me.

"I don't know a Newt or Minho, Young Lady," Crassus admitted. "But you better get ready."

"For?"

"Meeting our leader and getting a tour."