5 - Mountain People

"If you want to survive out there, you really gotta try harder, Young Lady." Crassus walked into the Weapon Room I was throwing knives in.
"The knife is going well, but if you want to beat those Cranks, you'll have to be capable of more."

"I'll see," I grumbled. At that point, I didn't even care that much if I died because of the Cranks. Of course, I wanted to reunite with the boys, but they already thought I was dead, I felt awful, so enough reasons to just die when I couldn't find them, right?

"Try using a gun." Crassus handed me a black one.

I swallowed and got ready to shoot at one of the targets, but Crassus interrupted.

"You're holding it wrong." He commented before he took my hand and moved it somewhere. My chest tightened, a flashback of the pub coming back.

Come on, Jane. Don't act so lame. He's only helping. But I couldn't stop myself from feeling uncomfortable.

"Like that, yes." Crassus took a step back, not realizing how he made me feel at all. He was only helping me and trying his best!

I took a breath and shot. The bullet flew past the target, drilling a hole in the wall.

"I told you," I muttered as I gave the gun back to Crassus. "I'll just use the knives."

"Good luck then." Crassus sighed, not seeming to agree. "Throw some of them again."

I nodded and started throwing while Crassus watched every step I took, which again, made me nervous. He wasn't even staring at me, but at the knives, and yet it still felt like he was watching me like all those men.

What the hell is wrong with me? I took a breath and threw another knife.

"You're pretty good at it," Crassus admitted. Before I got the chance to thank him, he continued. "But try standing differently. Someone could easily push you on the ground like that."

I moved my feet the other way. Crassus sighed and walked over to me. My breathing hitched when he took my torso in his hands and moved it the right way.

Another flashback of Kane's face in front of me. I could feel his hands all over my body again.
"Are you doing this on purpose?" I lowered my voice. The shake in it was hearable.

"What?" Crassus' eyebrows furrowed. I had to admit it looked like he was honestly confused.

"Touching me," I explained. "Are you doing it on purpose?" I bit my lips and waited for him to respond.

He shook his head. "No. I would never do that on purpose, you understand me? I'm here to train you, nothing else."

I nodded quickly and opened my mouth, then closed it again. No sound came out.

"Go try out your camera, Young Lady." He suggested. "It'll distract you for a bit. See if you can find them and drop the note. Then get out of here without anyone else noticing."

Again, I nodded, this time in appreciation. "Thanks, Crassus."

He gave me a hesitant smile and opened the door.

~

A small laptop was in front of me. I could exactly see where the camera flew and what it was doing, so watched the screens attentively while my hands moved over the controller of the
camera.

I flew past lots of sand. A desert. The Scorch, how Crassus called it once. Soon I saw a big building in the middle of the Scorch. It looked quite modern and interesting, so I got closer, focusing on a big door.