16 - Bertha

"This way." We walked into an open area, the letter 'A' painted on a white flag. People stared at us as we walked after Jorge, making me unsure.

"Where's Marcus?" Jorge questioned a very less-clothed woman who stood next to a door. The vibe was weird, a bit scary, and it made me want to leave.

She inspected Jorge's face. "He's right inside." Her words slugged over each other like she was drunk.

Someone's hand touched my shoulder, an about twenty-year-old boy appeared in front of me. He smiled at me, his hand never leaving. With wide eyes, frozen in my place, I stared at him, not even being able to take in what he looked like.

But soon a cough distracted me. Minho grabbed the boy's shoulder and twisted him so they were face to face. Only the cold gaze Minho gave the boy made him leave in just a second, making me very relieved.

"Thank you." It came out as barely a whisper. Minho glanced at me before turning back to the woman.

"Let us in," Jorge commanded after he argued with the woman for a while.

"What's in there?" I questioned before the woman could reply to Jorge.

"A club, pub, party.. whatever." She laughed weirdly as my face paled, my stomach dropping.

A pub, a pub, a pub.. it kept repeating in my head. To be honest, I was frightened to go in there. I didn't want to be close to people, men I didn't know, or be in a pub.

"Hey." Rye gently took my arm and walked out of our group. By now I was a little more used to his touch, so the slightest stuff didn't make me flinch or do anything weird anymore, luckily.
"You don't have to go in there if you don't want to."

I shook my head. "No, I'll go."

Rye hesitated and seemed thoughtful for a second. "Only if you're totally, completely sure. I could also wait here with you?"

"I want to help," I assured. "I'll go in."

"Okay." He agreed. "But don't take any drinks and just stay close to us, all right?"

"Got it." I nodded quickly, acting tougher than I was.

"Ready, love?" Newt wondered when Rye and I walked back.

"Yeah." I took a breath and followed Newt in.

Immediately a weird smell filled my nose, the same one as the one in the pub. Women were dancing around, wearing such revealing clothes, which I would swear saw Minho staring on. Slow, weird music made the youth dance and I even saw a fighting ring. Flashing lights blinded me, making me quite uncomfortable. Or very uncomfortable.

"You got this." Newt squeezed my hand and to my surprise, I didn't flinch. "Just stay with me."

I swallowed and kept walking through the crowd, searching for either Marcus, or Brenda and Thomas. The crowd slowly got bigger, all moving around Newt and me.

My breathing got stuck in my throat when I felt someone accidentally touch me and another bump into me.
Newt gave me a concerned look. "Keep going, love. We'll find them."

Again, I just nodded in a rush and kept looking around. My head made the fact that people came closer to me worse than it was, though somehow I managed to just go on until a guy danced up to me from behind.

He said something inappropriate in my ear Newt could also hear, so the Brit's face dropped and got washed over with anger.

Carefully Newt took my upper arms and switched positions, so the boy was basically dancing up to Newt. Newt made a dance move too, accidentally hitting the boy on the nose, who groaned.

"Oh, shit. You okay, man?" Newt innocently asked.

The boy gave Newt a dirty glance, then walked off, Newt stuck out his foot, which made him trip over.

"Oh, god! How can I be so clumsy?" Newt dramatically sighed as he watched the boy crawling on his feet.

"Watch out, dude." The boy threatened, trying to talk in Newt's face, but Newt was much taller.

"I'm sorry." Newt apologized again, but the grin was there. "I've got a bit of a weak leg, so can't always control it. I hope your poor little skull isn't broken now."

Almost I giggled out loud if it weren't for the situation. Later the boy left fast and Newt turned to me again.
"You okay, love?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "Thank you."

"Don't say thank you," Newt ordered sternly. "Bloody Shank got what he deserved. Now come on."

~

Later appeared Teresa already found Thomas and Brenda, Thomas was unconscious, and Brenda was drugged, but she soon recovered as it was the first time for me to see her.

Her dark hair was buzzed shorter than Minho's, maybe even shorter than Thomas'. She had a beautiful face, round shaped. To me she looked nice and beautiful, but somehow pretty badass too.

While I watched Thomas slowly wake up, Jorge was beating up a man, who appeared to be Marcus. Marcus was tied onto a chair, eye black and blood coming from his mouth. Horrible.

"Welcome back, you ugly shank." Minho grinned when Thomas' eyes opened. I took that as a sign to focus on Jorge instead of worrying about Thomas, who didn't seem drugged anymore either.

"I suggest that you talk!" Jorge yelled. "You son of a bitch!" He hit Marcus in the face again. By now his blonde hair was damped by sweat, covering some parts of his purple jacket too. He looked like a creepy guy, in my opinion.

"I'm sorry...you're going to have to leave my house." Marcus sighed as Thomas walked over to us.

"Looks like you've been having fun," Newt commented, looking at Thomas.

"Listen. I don't enjoy hurting you. Okay?" Jorge admitted. "Where is the Right Arm, Marcus?"

"Wait, this is Marcus?" Thomas wondered. I didn't get why he didn't know that before but didn't ask either.

"The kid catches on quick." Marcus laughed. "Are you the brains of the operation?"

"I know you know where they're hiding." Jorge threatened and lowered his voice. "So you tell me, and I'll make you a deal. You can come with us."

Rather not, Jorge.

Marcus laughed out loud. An ugly laugh. "I burned that bridge a long time ago. Besides, I made my own deal. You're the one who taught me, never miss an opportunity."

"What's he talking about?" Newt turned his head from the couch he was on, frowning once again.

"I'm talking about supply and demand," Marcus explained with a grin. "WICKED wants all the Immunes they can get. I help provide that for them. So I lure the kids in...they get drunk, they have a good time. And then, later, WICKED comes in...they separate the wheat from the chaff."

I realized that was what he was trying to do to Brenda and Thomas. Luckily the woman didn't make us drink anything!

"I changed my mind, hermano." Jorge leaned in. "I do enjoy hurting you."

With his foot, he kicked the chair along with Marcus on the ground before he grabbed his shirt.

"Talk! Talk!" Jorge screamed.

"Okay! Jesus!" Marcus replied shockingly, "But I'm not making any promises. These guys like to move around. They have an outpost in the mountains. But it's a long way away. You got half of WICKED on your ass. You're never gonna make it."

A smirk grew on Jorge's face as he pulled Marcus back up. "Not on foot." He took a long, dramatic pause. "Where's Bertha?"

"Not Bertha." Marcus managed to get out.